Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 Comp Rebuild

Default 85 Comp Rebuild

Two years ago I picked up a 85 Comp with a nice hull but interior was toast and stringers and floor was the worst I have ever seen. The price was right and I was looking for another project . At the time I was about half way through a 67 Correct Craft Mustang so the comp has been on the back burner. Never Start Another Project until the first one is done. About a month ago I started the comp Gutted it removed the drive line and lifted the top cap . Since then I put the hull in the basement and started to remove foam. That is when I found the botched stringer and foam job . It looks like they were more concerned with holding up the floor than holding up the engine. I got it stripped down and started removing the hacked in stringers to get to the original stringer locations. It looked like they poured in liquid epoxy to hold the stringers down some was 2'' thick . Every thing they did was hacked in and not even close to correct. It would have been a huge problem if they had prepped the hull before pouring in the epoxy. For the most part a chisel and hammer popped the epoxy off in large chunks since it never bonded to the hull. Wife has started on interior and yes we are going with the original rainbow strips .

Here is the 67 Mustang

Awesome.... Keep the pix coming! Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

The photos are awesome! It is a huge effort. You are truly an inspiration.

Wife has started the upholstery. We are going with the original rainbow color theme.

Work continues on the stringers . I got one side removed and hull sanded down to install the new stringers. All the backings for the swim platform and the rudder are rotted out more cutting and installing new wood.

Rudder backing rotted

Looking good, Michael! Glad you kept the rainbow stripes, that's old school for sure. Nice work. Are you keeping the Mustang?

I'll be over in your neck of the woods next week, I need to stop in and see this in person.

ETKTYRD, check your private messages.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

This is a rerun right? Same color scheme as mine an all. Rainbow strips will look awesome!

Rainbow strips look good against that bright white.
    2018 Supra SL400

Started shaping the stringers they have to be scribed and planed to fit the hull.