Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 85 Comp Rebuild

Yes I will probably have some extra carpet . I get it from Keston Bro's

Top cap is back on most of the electrical is done working on interior. Unfortunately a lot of the seats were replaced by PO . They were not done right and now the patterns are gone. I got the gaskets and seals for the engine I will reseal and paint engine and trans before installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Are you going to seal all that wood with anything before install?

I use CPES [clear penetrating epoxy sealer] on all the raw wood all plywood is either marine or MDO signboard they both use waterproof glue the CEPS will make it more rotproof. CEPS is available on line.

Funny, I've seen this boat several times now and was just looking at some pics from last Friday and noticed the original speaker holes. Mine is the same way, hidden behind the upholstery as mine was radio delete. I like the location of the ones you have better but I really don't want to cut into fiberglass.
    After my new upholstery job, I don't even want to cut holes at all. Anyways, it allows for larger speakers down low and doesn't contrast with those side panels. I'll have to think about this. How much room is behind those speakers? Seems like they would have to be shallow depth.

Hope you don't mind me posting these pics but wanted to share thoughts.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Be carful there is hardly any clearance between the inner hull and outer hull. You will not be able to install a high quality speaker that low .

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Be carful there is hardly any clearance between the inner hull and outer hull. You will not be able to install a high quality speaker that low .
    Speakers? Just open the throttle, get up on plane and let that 351W sing the song of my people for everyone on the lake.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I didn't put the speakers in but now I have to cover the holes. I use my phone and a Bluetooth speaker when stopped and relaxing you can't hear the music over the open exhaust anyway.

Hey Michael,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news (I don't really think this is bad news) and since you are a moderator, this will be an easy change for you, but you need to change the title of this thread to 1986 Comp Rebuild.

Going back through pics I took over at your place of your Comp, I noticed the last 2 digits on the HIN are 86. Last four are K586 if my eyes are not deceiving me. That means your Comp was built in November of 1985 four months into production for the model year 1986.

Besides the extra quarter that puts in your pocket at resale, it's also cool because now it's a sister boat to my 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier that was built in August of 1985. Last four of mine are H586.

Notice the color combos are very similar if not the same and would make a spectacular picture together. Even the striping looks to be the same size so what I ordered for you, I hope will work for mine down the road. By the way, I ordered striping on Wednesday (16th) and should be here in couple weeks. Will let you know.

Anyway, check the last 2 digits on HIN to verify, but from pic it definitely looks like 86 to me.

See ya.

Hunter Comp HIN

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242