Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 82 Supra Star Prop Rooster Tail Problem

Hello all:
    I have a 82 Supra Star, 350,1:1 Tranny, fixed flat cavitation plate. Had a 14x12 prop stock prop and someone suggested a 13x12 for this problem and have same problem and it's even harder rooster tail and it didn't help.. The wake is flat but I have a hard rooster tail in the middle 6 to 10 inches high between 18 and 22 off at 31 mph. It will take your ski out from under you if your not paying attention skiing 22 off. I never really paid attention to it because I've always free skied at 15 off. The rooster tail is at 15 off at 31 and 32mph but I don't ski that fast anymore but i do want to start skiing at 22 off. Your thoughts or suggestions on a fix will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Default anyone

Anyone have any ideas? Will an adjustable cavitation plat dropped down an inch?

Can you post a picture or video of your wake? To answer your question, adjusting the plate properly should help flatten or tamp that down.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Randy and I are going to swap over a plate from a '87 Marauder that is adjustable to get that bow higher.

Here is his current wake.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

There are two thoughts here. First being to add a little weight to the port side of the boat to level/even out the list to starboard that is resulting in a slightly asymmetrical convergence of the water from each side of the hull and under the boat. Second it looks like the wake plate is actually too far down which is resulting in the hump being pushed back so far from the transom. Adjust it up 1/8" to 1/4" and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    There are two thoughts here. First being to add a little weight to the port side of the boat to level/even out the list to starboard that is resulting in a slightly asymmetrical convergence of the water from each side of the hull and under the boat. Second it looks like the wake plate is actually too far down which is resulting in the hump being pushed back so far from the transom. Adjust it up 1/8" to 1/4" and try again.
    Have to remember this is a 1982 model. His plate is not adjustable hence our idea to swap from the 1987 Marauder that has one. We are hoping the size and shape did not drastically change and it can be done easily. I have a 1985 Rider to be parted out as well and will measure its plate to see if any different.

The interesting thing is, my 1983 Rider built one year later than his Star, has an adjustable plate, but my 1983 Beast that was built one month prior to the Rider does not. Yes, I noticed the convergence of the wake also and believe the port side could use some weight. I will have to pull some pics of my Rider wake from the past and compare.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Even if it is not truly adjustable, if you can tweak it a bit to remove any down deflection or stern lifting action might help before trying to remove the plate for a swap.

Thanks to all. In this pic there were 3 people on the port side and 2 batteries under that side seat. and only the driver on the driver side. Sticking down in the water, only on the port side is the original speedo pickup skimming the water, there is not one anymore on the Driver side. Boat was traveling 31mph and i was skiing at the time. From what i understand, an adjustable plate adjusted down will lift the rear bringing the front down or more level and lifting the plate up will sink the rear down bringing up the front. am I backwards?
    Last edited by rlove30188; 02-07-2022 at 09:39 PM.

All correct however, adjusting the plate up might move the high bump in the wake closer to the transom for you.

What I did on my Rider was to use a 4 foot level and get plate flat with the hull. Then I adjusted ever so slightly the plate up so I could have some bow rise. These boats have fat front ends and I'd prefer to skim the water than try pushing it. May take a few tries to get it where you are happy if we are successful in a plate swap.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242