Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velvet drive

Default Velvet drive

I have the old velvet drive transmission, original Morse shift, with the standard PCM Ford 351. The engine and transmission are incredibly smooth, it idles at 400-600 and shifts like butter. I don't understand why the prop spins in neutral. Out of water it is about 60-100 rpms regardless of throttle speed. It's great for puttering out of the slip, but it means the boat will not stand still in idle, so that warming up or leaving the slip is sometimes a hassle. (I just checked the transmission filter and fluid.)

Is this normal?

mine doesn't spin in neutral, its possible that your transmission cable is not disengaging the transmission completely. but, if the tranny is not in neutral the engine shouldn't turn over when you turn the key. any problems starting it?

either way, i would start by disconnecting that cable at the tranny (pull cotter pin) and move the tranny lever by hand, see if you can find neutral without the cable. if so, you might just need to adjust the cable....

hope this helps,
    kevin

Thanks,
    I had the linkage checked. It starts fine. There's alway a slow spin in neutral even with the Morse pin out. I thought maybe the forward momentum was caused by the exhaust, but then I remembered I discovered this when the boat was on blocks with a fake a lake.
    Is there a photo of your Saltaire posted anywhere?

Default Velvet drive

I had the same problem. I'm guessing your controp linkage is improperly adjusted.

Dan

Default Replying to Topic 'Velvet drive'

Old topic but new question. How do you adjust the throttle cable (make it longer/shorter) or the transmission/throttle cable. I'm trying to put on a new Morse SV-2 controller, my old one, I would have to countinously wiggle it and play with it in order for it to read neutral so that I could start the engine. The neutral safety switch was just replaced, so I know that it is not the problem( at least I hope ).

When I put the new one in I had to pull the throttle cable to get it to hook up to it, and of course this pulled on the throttle itself, so when I would have started the engine it would have taken off. Same with the tranny cable it would not reach unless I pulled it. Which of course was engaging the tranny. So I guess I have a few questions ..

What position is neutral on the tranny itself?
    What position is forward on the tranny itself?
    How to adjust the cables?

Old topic but new question. How do you adjust the throttle cable (make it longer/shorter) or the transmission/throttle cable. I'm trying to put on a new Morse SV-2 controller, my old one, I would have to countinously wiggle it and play with it in order for it to read neutral so that I could start the engine. The neutral safety switch was just replaced, so I know that it is not the problem( at least I hope ).

When I put the new one in I had to pull the throttle cable to get it to hook up to it, and of course this pulled on the throttle itself, so when I would have started the engine it would have taken off. Same with the tranny cable it would not reach unless I pulled it. Which of course was engaging the tranny. So I guess I have a few questions ..

What position is neutral on the tranny itself?
    What position is forward on the tranny itself?
    How to adjust the cables?
    88' Supra Bravura

hi cryon,

i'll take a few shots from memory...how far off are your cables?

neutral on the tranny is in the straight up position. i think forward position is with the tranny lever pointed to the back of the boat but i'm not certain. you will want to verify that. your boat won't start with the tranny in gear, unless the switch has been de-activated. moving the throttle will tell you which gear is which since you already have that end hooked up.

the transmission cable has a mount that holds the end in place near the transmission housing on the back of the engine. there are several different pre-drilled spots on the mount you can choose. you'll be able to figure out which one works for your cable.

the throttle cable can be adjusted at the end that connects to the carb. there's a fitting on the end of the cable that has a little ball-bearing looking end. you can tighten or loosen that fitting to adjust the length. you'll need to free it from the carb though...pull on the very tip of the cable, it's spring loaded and will free-up the connection so you can pull it out of the arm on the carb. then loosen the fitting to adjust the cable. i think there's another set-up like the tranny cable to make bigger changes. if your cable is too tight, the boat will idle high. if it's too loose, there will be play in the throttle when you try to give it gas.

let us know how it goes!

Got it to hook-up, now all I have to do is to test it. weather is really crumby so can't get out on the lakes. It looks like it shifts into gear properly but not sure about throttle in reverse. Is the throttle supposed to move like it does in forward, when the tranny is in reverse? The throttle cable dosen't seem to move???????
    88' Supra Bravura

Check your oil level on your transmision. If too much oil then hi oil pres. then the shaft is rotating in neutral too!
    Some times you need more oil (of the maximum level that the dipstick indicates) otherwise, depending the pump position (left or right), your pump delivers air instead of oil and you have lack of pressure on left or right turns of your boat. So try to remoove some oil (but be sure to keep the oli level indicator on max.

Hoppe this helps
    Dimitri

yep, you should be able to pump the throttle in reverse just like forward. you just replaced the control unit, right? i've had to replace a small brass connector in mine before, it was binding and stopping the lever from moving. your new unit should be smooth though.

are you sure that the tranny cable is fully engaging the reverse gear when this happens?