Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV - Rotisserie Restoration

Time to start another chapter in the book of history for Mischief IV, my beloved 1983 Supra Rider that has been in family since new, albeit with 4 different owners. Approaching her 40th birthday next year, I find it truly amazing that she has survived this long due to the fact that the last 6 years have not been so kind to her. I have owned her for over 21 years now but unfortunate circumstances caused by my own negligence preceded by criminal activity as evidenced from another guy's hands during her first major restoration 11 years ago, led her to be parked in October of 2014. I thought she might be down just for one season, but then she was diagnosed as terminal. You can do everything right and still be the victim of fraud and trust me, I will not hold back on the guy who did this to me and my wife and my boat. (more on this later)
    I won't mince words as it has taken years for me to come to grips with the deception but now it is time to move forward as she is once again, under the knife getting restored one final time at a cost very close to what she probably sold for new. The upside to that is, she will be better than ever before and far beyond what the Supra factory could have done back in the day.

Where do I start this thread as there is so much that I'd like to say? I believe I will begin with where Mischief IV is currently in the restoration process and then work towards backfilling the story with her history. For the newcomers, I already had a thread started back in 2006 on this boat before it and myself were accidentally banned permanently so most of this will be new for you but for those who know Mischief IV, bare with me, you may not know the whole story.

I do find it a shame that most forum members have fled from here opting for daily quick fix apps that seem to make it near impossible to find anything posted one day, to the next. I'm not sure how one can follow a complete restoration that way so I intend this thread to be as thorough as it can be and hopefully a good resource if others are looking to do their own restoration on a Supra classic. As long as Imgur doesn't pull a Photobucket, I hope this thread will last a good long time.

Pics will start from December 2021 to February 2022 showing stringers and floor getting completely redone with Coosa composite material. Yes, I opted for composite material obviously after a complete fail with wood last time. Now, it wasn't the wood's fault at all but how the wood was installed of course, but in order to keep a 39 year old boat afloat for another 39 years, I stepped up to the best material I could find after finding one of the best installers in the ATL area. If you have seen the thread regarding my 1991 Supra Comp, then you have seen this shop's work. Their work is simply amazing and the main reason this boat did not get chopped up and sent to the dump. Instead of needing a therapist for treating your depression, all you need is a fiberglass shop that does what they say they will do and be completely honest in the process. So far, I've been over 3 times during the process to inspect, ask a lot of dumb questions and then find other things for them to work on. I'm always happy when I leave. Come to think of it, a therapist may be cheaper.

Without further ado, here is Mischief IV and her new lease on life.

Here she is in all her glory after being stripped down.

The old foam will remain. No reason to pull out since it was dry as a bone and going with composite material anyway.

Port side - Blower mounts here.

Starboard side - Speedo tubes mount here.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Once the hull was stripped down of all wood, then the process of glassing in the composite started at the transom, first for the lifting ring, then for the blower mount and speedo tubes, followed by the bow ring. Then composite was added for the swim platform mounts once the stringers were set.

First pic here show some of the old wood that was, wait for it...the original outer two stringers.

So then you have to ask yourself, wait a minute, I thought I had a total stringer job done back in 2009? All new wood.
    According to the invoice it was but according to the rotten wood laying there, it was total con job.

fraud
    frôd
    noun
    - A deception practiced in order to induce another to give up possession of property or surrender a right.
    - A piece of trickery; a trick.
    - One that defrauds; a cheat.

I will tell you how I found this out as we get more into this thread but for now, let's focus on the good work going into the hull.

The long piece of wood in forefront is the original outer stringer. 38 years old.

Transom

Ski Pylon gets sanded before a new coat of Rustoleum is applied.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Once you become aware of the fraud that was associated with the previous top cap off stringer job, you have to inspect each and every thing the fraudster touched.

Here, for example, this isn't fraudulent work per se but nonetheless, work that was done incorrectly. This is the bow ring that holds your boat onto the trailer and if you need a tow back to the dock, you sure hope it is strong enough to take the load.

Compare and contrast the work here. First two pics were claimed to be done by a professional that made his living doing this each and everyday.

The third pic IS professional work.

If TitanTN would like to make a comment about how many flakes are in my epoxy floor, now would be the time.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default Stringers

Once the shop had all the smaller pieces in and around the hull, it was time to install the main stringers. They were very precise in their measurements and took lots of notes upon deconstruction. What I loved most is, they documented everything so I could see step by step along the way. One stringer, then two stringers, then three, and four. I will expound further once I go back on the timeline a few years on how I was promised a photo catalog with the last failed stringer repair job but somehow it went mysteriously missing. SMH.

Everything is super straight here and you can immediately see that this will be a quality job from the start.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default Stringers

Once the stringers were set in, time for the resin and glass fiber.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

December is now over and most of the hard work with the stringers is a thing of the past. Moving into January and the new year, it was time for new foam to be put down before the flooring pieces were cut with precise care. It was a thing of beauty to see it at this stage and comforting to see how much they cared about their work that no one will ever see once the carpet goes down.

Originally, the boat had half inch plywood for the flooring and when I had the last stringer repair done, I was told it would be 1/2" as well. When you pay someone for 1/2" marine plywood, you just expect that's what they would use. I did have one low spot in my floor and wondered why it flexed as much as it did. It also wasn't level at the bow area. I began to question a lot of things shortly after the repair done in 2009 but still trusted in what I was being told and she ran real good so did not focus on those small things. Imagine my surprise almost 12 years later to the date when the new shop tells you that the floor was 3/8" and looked like basic plywood. If the stringers did not rot first, only be a matter of time before the floor did. A WTF moment for sure. I think at this point, I wasn't really surprised. Even after learning of the first betrayal years earlier regarding the stringers, you go back and replay all the conversations in your mind that you had with a crook and it all starts to make sense now as you see the entire fraud presented before you.

If you're keeping score at home, so far the Crook = 2, Boat Owner = 0
    That is 2 outer stringers not replaced that were supposed to have been (that I paid for)
    3/8" basic plywood for flooring instead of the 1/2" marine grade (that I paid for)

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Prior to glassing the floor in, we see part of the last bit of 3/8" flooring they kept as a template. (pic 3) Currently, this section is cut anew (pic 4) but they want to hold off on drilling holes to make sure they have everything in the right location in case they got off from measurements. Once they lower the top cap down, they will confirm locations, lift up top cap, drill holes and then lay carpet followed by setting top cap back down. Did I mention they were very precise? It was also in two separate pieces before and with the Coosa, easier to make as one piece.

Those holes in the old wood are for the 4 vent hoses for fresh air intake, battery cable, cooler drain, and throttle, steering and engine cabling.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I'm gonna go back in time for a minute on this post. I apologize if I am still bitter in this thread, as I have been through the five stages of grief and finally have reached acceptance and I know this will be great in the end, but getting here has been a struggle.

It is just a boat and for most people not worth this much trouble....but this boat has been a big part of my youth, my journey into adulthood, pre-marriage, marriage and now into old age it seems. So, the betrayal wasn't so much about losing the money he stole and the costs associated to put her back together but more the 7 years I've now lost without the ability to make new memories with my family and friends sitting behind the wheel. Somedays I just accept it and all is well and other days, it hits you hard in the gut and feel guilty even though I had nothing to with the fraud. I feel ashamed that I referred 15 people at least, if not more, to this guy's shop and wonder if he did the same for all of them.

We're gonna look at his shotty work today which led me to find the rotten outer stringers. But in reality, I had an engine mount on the port side stringer that started to look like a sinkhole. Engine was slowly tilting over just 5 seasons after supposedly a professional stringer job had been done.
    I had to investigate further and so the motor was pulled in March of 2015.

In these pics, I had asked him to extend the battery box to accommodate a bigger battery and this is what I got. I was like, "seriously?" and he said, yeah, not worth the time or money to fix. This was nearing end of stringer job. He said, you don't see it anyways with the battery in it.
    He obviously had no clue who he was dealing with. I left it alone and thought, I will fix it right when I have a chance. So while I thought I just had a small section of stringer that needed attention after pulling motor, (thinking water got in at lag bolt) I will do the battery box as well at same time...the way it should have been done by a professional (I use that term lightly for him)

When I pulled the box out, I immediately saw old foam. Oh man, old foam I thought? He took this apart and showed me some pics with new foam. Why the hell is old foam under the floor? Out came the cellphone with a camera and I stuck in the hole between the main stringer and outer stringer and I honestly can't remember what I did next. I think I screamed, I yelled, cussed, and then cried before calling the guy that did this to me. I remember him saying to me, "I don't like the tone you are taking with me!" Haha, yeah, that's the problem. Oh, by the way, he offered a 10 year warranty and told me to get lost as he would not honor it. Lol, you mean you don't want to take the top cap off again and just look inside and then close it back up without doing anything? Gotcha.

Seriously, the thought that I have original outer stringers in a boat that just underwent a top cap off restoration years earlier knocked me sideways and backwards to the point where I was inconsolable for weeks.

Please see this wonderful work of 'shart' for yourselves.
    In pic 2, you can even see where the top cap meets the floor and it has a bump and not level. But give him some credit, he did put new foam underneath there to prop up that outer stringer so it would not collapse as fast.

Tell me what you guys think?

Spot the old foam?

Kibbles and bits for stringers.

Great job!! Thanks.
    Last edited by Mischief IV; 02-15-2022 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Supra Supra Supra

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Before or after? Which battery box version do you like best?

Same box, different skill level.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242