Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Man that blazer is cool. There is something about that era of truck. Killer combo with the boat behind it. And yeah with this kind of history and memories with the boat , I can see the attachment for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 Supra Legacy
    1991 Alumacraft Lunker
    Old Town Discovery canoe

Quote Originally Posted by JBreezy View Post
    Man that blazer is cool. There is something about that era of truck. Killer combo with the boat behind it. And yeah with this kind of history and memories with the boat , I can see the attachment for sure.
    Thanks, it was the awesome 80s for sure with good music and carefree attitudes. If we weren't at the lake, we were 4 wheeling in a mud puddle or looking for a hill to climb. Boat seem to fit our lifestyle for so long that it became an heirloom.

Tonight, gonna keep it short and simple since I'm tired. However, I believe for tomorrow evening, I will get into the upholstery side of things in detail and take you on a journey back to the year 2015 and show you another shop's work that must have hired Beavis and Butt-head to do the upholstery. No worries there as I did not a pay but a small amount and you know the expression, "you get what you pay for."

Here is a sneak preview of some of the items that were restored just prior to removing all dash items for new upholstery or that I have been restoring since I broke it down to have ready upon reassembly once boat is ready.

DASH from 2014, last season on water. All gauges were restored with new glass and chrome bezels. It is the original style gauges but not all are original to Mischief IV. They are in original format as they would have been from factory. The hours represent how much I have put on the motor since I acquired the boat in 1999 as it was replaced shortly before purchase. Tach is the original in unrestored form.

2 NOS Airguide Speedos imported from Australia dated 2001 that were still in box and never opened. They worked great but I do not like that they have a website on them and have since purchased new Supra faceplates to update or perhaps better, retro-date them.
    I have also bought 2 older Supra Airguides off eBay for backup.

Switches were brand new in 2014 with custom engraving. Cannot find the old style that were made of a rubber that always cracked. This was closest replacement to push-pull style keeping with the same tradition in color and appearance. Of course, no one knows what a cigarette lighter is today so that became the USB charger followed by horn button. Boat is very simple compared to today's nonsense.

Note steering wheel assembly above. Maybe hard to see but chrome was less than desirable with cracks and pits. Throttle was the same.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Hopefully a noticeable difference for our small viewing audience at home. Steering assembly is made of pot metal so cheap alloy but in decent enough shape to strip off old finish and lay down new chrome.

After

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Quickie Update. 2-28-22

Went over to the shop today and they were able to get the top cap moved inside and next to the hull. Work should begin soon. The jig we built worked great and they just carried it in shop with 5 guys and sat on floor. Went over a few details with shop owner, grabbed trailer and headed home.

Will start posts re: upholstery in a few days. Been delayed but I have found all the pics so when I have a chance, I will get more into detail about that debacle and continue thread.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

As an owner of a Supra Rider, I've always appreciated your posts, stories, and restoration pictures. Fell out of my chair when I saw your top cap mishap. Cannot imagine your feeling at the time, and still now. I know your goal is to make her 10X better than she rolled off the showroom floor, and there is no doubt she will be.
    Best from AZ

Where are we at with this? Any progress from you the shop on the cap? refurbished hardware pieces look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 Supra Legacy
    1991 Alumacraft Lunker
    Old Town Discovery canoe

Hey Mischief,

Do you have any updates on your restore? I have just about run out of popcorn and I want to see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleManAZ View Post
    As an owner of a Supra Rider, I've always appreciated your posts, stories, and restoration pictures. Fell out of my chair when I saw your top cap mishap. Cannot imagine your feeling at the time, and still now. I know your goal is to make her 10X better than she rolled off the showroom floor, and there is no doubt she will be.
    Best from AZ
    I appreciate that. I haven't been the same since to be honest. Small simple mistake on my part and I don't like to make mistakes.
    It will be better than new. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by JBreezy View Post
    Where are we at with this? Any progress from you the shop on the cap? refurbished hardware pieces look great!
    Sorry, so spring came and went but since this is a winter time project, the shop asked if we could put on back burner and I was fine with that. Once summer starts, it wasn't going to get done anyways. Finding time to finish my Comp has been near impossible so having another boat sitting there too did not make sense and the shop has a lot of stuff that is seasonal. I have a real good relationship with the owner and he's been real easy to work with. Also, if he's not working on it, I'm not getting billed on it either so makes it easier on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by h2o-ski View Post
    Hey Mischief,

Do you have any updates on your restore? I have just about run out of popcorn and I want to see how it comes out.
    Keep the popcorn ready but as I explained above, she went on the back burner for awhile. I appreciate you guys checking in on me and I should be more active here now but get busy with so many different projects and my wife says I have Attention Deficit Disorder so I start one project and move to next, then start another and maybe eventually come back around to finish the ones I started first but I am also slow at everything I do and that makes for long drawn out projects. We also traveled to Africa this summer for 3 weeks and then I have either traveled here in the states or been at my lake house a lot as well so just don't ever check forum on phone.

Once the season is over in a few weeks, I'll focus more attention back on Comp and then the shop says he will have the Rider ready by mid December or first of January. I would love to have a spring push to get it back on the water for its 40th Birthday. Keep you posted for sure. Be great to have both boats ready for next summer! May have to have another Southern Supra Reunion to celebrate.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default Update 9-22

Update:

As I previously mentioned in the last post, work stopped in the spring to accommodate the shop's request to work on boats that could be easily repaired and used for the summer. Last time I passed by was middle of May to pick up the swim platform my brother's '97 Sunsport that he had repaired and refreshed so I grabbed these pics and honestly forgot about them until today.

He was able to set the top cap on the boat and test fit. It looks like a boat again which made me extremely happy. The battery box is in the original position and love that the floor is flat, not wavy as per the last screwed up stringer con job.

The plan is to start repairing the top cap on the top side of it, lift it up, then make repairs to the underside. Once completed, he will spray the entire top cap gelcoat that he has had matched using a company out of Florida. Instead of patches here and there, the color will be uniform and less work down the road as gel made fade. He will then lift top cap once more to install the beautiful red carpet I got and set top cap down...forever I hope.

But anyway, the shop will be getting back on it here shortly so any new pics I get, will post.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Don't know how I missed this thread, with needing stringers on my Saltare. Thanks for your amazing level of documentation. Haven't made it through all of it yet, but I'm sure I'll have questions as I get closer to doing mine. It's great to see a composite build. Which Coosa product did you use for the stringers and floor? How did you prep and attach the pylon and motor mounts? Drill, epoxy, and through bolt? Fastener holding ability is my main concern with composites, but I'd strongly prefer to go composite and never need another boat. I'd love to just outsource the job but reading about your experience with Donnie, who seemed to be the go to guy for Supra restorations, makes me very hesitant to outsource this one. So many shady folks who do a "good enough" job that'll last a few years and not sweat it as most people tend to not hold on to boats or any other vehicle.