Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

In today's blog we are headed back to present time as we need to get this top cap across town to the shop and let them ponder all the areas that need work. This would prove to be quite the day figuring out how to transport without doing anymore damage to it. The Saturday before the trip across town, we spend making a cradle to sit it down on a flatbed trailer and not allow any flex with the movement. I'd say we spent 4.5 hours throwing ideas back and forth till we got where we felt comfortable with it. Special shoutout to NGAVChris for another day of help. He always comes through.

One quick hour ride days later and the shop got to feast their eyes on the mess that will consume their day's work for the next couple of months. We're gonna make some improvements along the way to make it stronger in areas where the factory failed all the while swapping the wood underneath for composite where the cleats, bow rail supports and tow rings connect.

Pics from February 2022 showing the loading onto the trailer

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

More top cap pics the next day making sure all the straps were on and snug tight. She got a quick wash before the trip.

Failed to mention earlier that every single piece of teak had to come off along with anything that wasn't fiberglass other than the windshield and bow rail. We kept the windshield on for strength but its coming off upon gelcoat repair and we will then repair broken glass.
    The bow rail proved helpful in the lifting process and it stayed on, otherwise, she is as naked as a jaybird.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

One aerial view and then we are ready for travel. Big brother is in the background wishing he could go off to the fiberglass shop and get some work done too. Big brother BEAST was built one month before my RIDER in 1983. BEAST was built in May and little sister in June. Would be cool to know if they were in the factory together at some point and now I have them reunited 39 years later. BEAST needs a full custom rebuild with new Chevy 454.
    I want to see it restored but wife is hesitant knowing now about the '86 Sunsport I picked up that she didn't know about if that makes any sense.

Pics are from February 16th, 2022

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Last of the top cap transport saga. She made it across town with no worries. Here are final pics showing her at the shop. Just left trailer and all until they could unload at their convenience. Here the top cap will get to reunite with her better half while getting back to ship shape form. How a-boat that?
    We having fun yet?

Pics are from February 16th, 2022

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Alright, for today's posting, let's go back and visit the top cap removal from 2019. Why not? Do you have anywhere else to be? Me neither. Let's get started shall we?

Taking the top cap off is rare nowadays seeing these boats are aging out quickly. 10 -15 years ago, seems a lot of guys were doing it and then they would never finish the job and end up selling boat piece by piece...or take 3 years to do it. Michael Hunter maybe the only crazy guy I know to keep doing top cap removal stringer jobs and not sure why he is still doing it. For the love of it for sure because it is a lot of work. Still cheaper than a new Boatmate trailer perhaps and keeping another Supra from the dump.

In 2008 - 2009, I debated doing my own stringer job but then said, hell no, it will be in pieces for eternity after watching other threads on here. Lol, little did I know then what I know now. Hey, let's get it done quickly in the off season and it won't be a big deal. 7 weeks later and it is ready to go again. Sure, it lasted for 5 seasons and has been torn apart now for another 6.5 years but who's counting? Oh well, who knew Donny Bennett and his brother at Bennett's Boat Repair in Maryville, TN would cheat me out of $4900.00 bucks? He was referred to me by Supra, he said all the right words, had worked on Mischief IV prior to the stringer job and claimed he had done over 100 stringer jobs. I really wonder how many are all done completely wrong like mine or did he just find me to be an easy mark?

New shop is great but he confided that he didn't have room for the top cap storage and it would save me a lot of money (hahahaha) if I could do it myself. Of course I can I said, but ultimately should have waited for a long drought I reckon.

The process really wasn't that bad. I built the lift structures for the come alongs one evening and went to town the next day on it. Again, another huge shout out to NGAVChris who is always there to lend a hand, or perhaps better said, come help clean up my messes. If I recall, I would say it took us 6 hours one afternoon start to finish. It was a lot of fun and I got excited, if only for a brief moment, before top cap failure became imminent.

Pics are from November 30th and December 1st 2019

Simple 2X4 across the transom at ski locker made for easy lifting

Simple 2X4 across the bow rail made for easy lifting
    Last edited by Mischief IV; 02-23-2022 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Supra, Supra, Supra, Supra

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Top Cap Removal continued. Started winching evenly slowly little by little. I have to admit we were nervous and constantly watching to see if any thing was sagging or gelcoat cracking. Have to check and make sure we did get all the rivets. I believe it came apart easier than we thought. The freeboard is pretty deep on these boats so you have to go pretty high to have the clearance to pull boat from underneath it. As soon as we were able, we quickly measured and then installed three 2x4s across the hull so it would not flex outwards.

Pics from December 1, 2019

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Finishing up the day's activities on a high note.

Pics from December 1st, 2019

NGAVChris is happy with his work.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Thanks for restoring me. This better not be a Humpty Dumpty situation where they can't put me back together again. You better find the right king's men is all I'm saying. Damn, 6.5 years man, where the hell have you been? Was sick to my stomach just waiting around for you while my insides felt rotten. I was about to keel over. Get it? No seriously, we've been through a lot together though haven't we? Remember that one time that you yelled at me because I would not crank? I haven't forgotten what you said man but I forgive you.

Would mean the world to me if I could be back on the water for my 40th birthday next year. Tell Big Sexy that I can't wait for a photo op together so I can outshine her. Why doesn't our little sister, the Comp, have a nickname yet? She's cute but ain't all that. Tell her I get my spot back in the garage when I am back from surgery. And what's up with this forum? There is more activity at an old folks home. Feels more dead than I was but I'll be resurrected soon so I'll be outta here.

Later imposter!
    Last edited by mischief4; 02-23-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: I am 39 years old.

LOL awesome thread, Dan. And perhaps the first forum entry authored by a ski boat in history, or at least that I have ever seen. I really do find the restore process and pictures fascinating. I didn’t even know the cap popped off like that, but of course now that I see it the design makes sense. I don’t comment much but I am reading and enjoying.
    And not so patiently waiting to get on the water again, though that’s still months away in my region of the country. Picked up my first water toys this weekend, a pair of O’Brien water skis at play it again sports. We’re excited, even if we’re not in the cool club with waterskis, it fits my era boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 Supra Legacy
    1991 Alumacraft Lunker
    Old Town Discovery canoe

Quote Originally Posted by JBreezy View Post
    LOL awesome thread, Dan. And perhaps the first forum entry authored by a ski boat in history, or at least that I have ever seen. I really do find the restore process and pictures fascinating. I didn’t even know the cap popped off like that, but of course now that I see it the design makes sense. I don’t comment much but I am reading and enjoying.
    And not so patiently waiting to get on the water again, though that’s still months away in my region of the country. Picked up my first water toys this weekend, a pair of O’Brien water skis at play it again sports. We’re excited, even if we’re not in the cool club with waterskis, it fits my era boat
    Thanks JBreezy. Speaking of first forum entry...you win for first reply to this thread. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! If you're ever in ATL, I'm buying.

It only took 2 weeks and 28 posts but funny enough, I've had several PMs/ texts today saying they are one of the 6 people that have been reading this. So, maybe I underestimated the number by a few and we're up to 10 members now.

Mischief4 has her own voice and it should be heard She's still beautiful and very much would like to stay 39 forever. I do feel however, she could use a refresher course on her Latin.

My wife says Mistress IV is perhaps a better name for her and I am not one to argue with her (not true) so she has a point. Why the wife is feels slighted I could not tell you because it's only been a 34 year love affair so far with this boat.

I only buy used for most everything. Can't blame you. We were up 75 degrees today so not complaining about cold but we shall have more cold temps before spring and yellow season showers our nice black cars. Thanks for replying and best of luck this season. I still have lots more to post on this thread.

I have posted many ski pics on my other thread out and about with other forum members. Check it out.
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...d-Supra-people

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242