Default Break-in process for 2022 550 motor

I’m new to the forum and are seeing and hearing multiple answers to this question…..what’s the best process to breaking in a new 550. My delivery has been delayed and puts me within days of my upcoming Lake Powell trip and I’m worried about the breakin period being on the lake for a week. Is this the worst thing I could do to break it in or am I overthinking this?

What’s the best process to make sure the motor gets broken in properly?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcrew6 View Post
    I’m new to the forum and are seeing and hearing multiple answers to this question…..what’s the best process to breaking in a new 550. My delivery has been delayed and puts me within days of my upcoming Lake Powell trip and I’m worried about the breakin period being on the lake for a week. Is this the worst thing I could do to break it in or am I overthinking this?

What’s the best process to make sure the motor gets broken in properly?

Thanks all!
    Indmar lists what their recommendation is. Should also be in the manual. After reading and talking to people about this, I think the most important items are:
    1) variable rpms for 10-20 hours
    2) getting the first break-in service at 20 hours - change fluids and make any adjustments

With most new motors, if some thing is going to go wrong internally, it probably happens right away. They take your boat for water tests and run them up/down the lake here in Knoxville at different speeds.

Will you hear people about dealers loading up the boat for demo rides while surfing - Yes
    Will you hear about people not following what is advised in the manuals - Yes

To me, I spend $175k on a boat, I will follow that break-in procedure and have the warranty to back me up.

Have fun with that 550!
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Indmar lists what their recommendation is. Should also be in the manual. After reading and talking to people about this, I think the most important items are:
    1) variable rpms for 10-20 hours
    2) getting the first break-in service at 20 hours - change fluids and make any adjustments

With most new motors, if some thing is going to go wrong internally, it probably happens right away. They take your boat for water tests and run them up/down the lake here in Knoxville at different speeds.

Will you hear people about dealers loading up the boat for demo rides while surfing - Yes
    Will you hear about people not following what is advised in the manuals - Yes

To me, I spend $175k on a boat, I will follow that break-in procedure and have the warranty to back me up.

Have fun with that 550!
    Thank you! Makes sense and yes, I feel the same about taking care of the boat for all the money we drop on these things!