Default 85 Marauder - new owner with questions

I recently purchased an 85 Marauder. A couple of questions have arisen.

What is the best prop to use - 3 or 4 blade? Size?

The trailer was not designed for this boat. The boat sits ok but the sub frame is too close to the rudder, fins and prop. Does anyone have an idea on where to find a good trailer in the ohio area?

The mooring tarp was a generic tarp that does not fit well. Is anyone aware of good tarp maker that has experience with the various Supra models

I am sure there will plenty of more questions that arise, as I am excited about this boat.

Welcome to the forum!

I have always bought my covers direct through SC. It was about $375 the last time but well worth it. It fits perfect, has all the reinforcements in the right places, and straps to hold the cover down to the trailer. They typically last me 6-7 years. If you like your interior, they are well worth the money.

As far as a prop is concerned, we need to know a little more. Boat length, engine make and HP, transmission reduction if any, and what you plan to do with the boat (i.e., slalom, wakeboard, cruise, how much weight/how many people?)
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

DKJ-

how are you getting a cover thru SC? is the mariah close enough to a current hull?

i'm about to pull the trigger on one too. last time, i bought a mostly-custom cover online and it was ok. i'd rather get something tighter this time around.

there's a canvas/sail shop around the corner, waiting for later in the season. last time i checked, this was the priciest but if you need snaps or anything installed, def the way to go.

these are supposed to be pretty sweet: http://www.rankincovers.com/
    also not cheap though. they'll add an extension for the swim platform and also longer side 'curtains' to give more gel coat protection.

sunbrella covers are around $500 online for mine.

you get what you pay for with covers, imo. my last cover would pool water unless it was put on 1 precise way, impossible to repeat until rain starts filling it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    DKJ-
    how are you getting a cover thru SC? is the mariah close enough to a current hull?
    Salty, I'm not sure if it is exactly to fit my boat, but it sure as hell seems like it is. I just emailed Brian Raymond at SC and he told me they still had the cover for it, and I then ordered it through a dealer. It appears to be identical to the original cover. It fits perfect, has all the reinforcements in the right places over the windscreen and ski pylon and even the quick-open velcro flap for the fuel tank. The only difference I've found is that the first one I had also had velcro flaps over the fore and aft cleats, and the new one has one more hold-down strap on each side.

I've actually never had a cover on any boat that didn't fill up in a heavy rain. I just do my best to avoid leaving it out for long periods of time because pooling water is the best way to destroy a cover in fairly short order. My boat stays on a lift in a covered, but open air boathouse during the summer and on the trailer in a storage unit during the winter so I just avoid the water altogether. In my case, the cover doesn't have to deal with much rain, so that's why i get so many years out of them.

My boathouse is next to a large aquatic weed bed, and mosquitoes lay eggs and hatch by the millions there. Unfortunately the barn swallows and spiders follow the food so the dock is covered up with them. A week without the cover and the inside of the boat is covered with bird and spider s$it. The fishing is good b/c of it though. That's the reason I'm so adamant about keeping mine covered. It really just eats me up; A buddy less than a mile down the street has a searay on a covered lift, but he has no weed beds around his dock. He leaves the cover off all summer and the only thing that gets in his boat is dust and pollen.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown