Default Help with a Alternator

I have a 94 Sunsport and the Alternator took a crap on me yesterday I am wondering if there is a replacement at local part store that can be used without messing it up or do I need to go thru the dealer to get one any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by EricB1915 View Post
    I have a 94 Sunsport and the Alternator took a crap on me yesterday I am wondering if there is a replacement at local part store that can be used without messing it up or do I need to go thru the dealer to get one any help is appreciated
    Do not use an automotive alternator. Use marine only, same with starter. Any marine dealer should have what you need. I used this place and ordered online. Rebuilt alternator still going strong after 4 years

https://www.dbelectrical.com/alterna...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napa used to have a line of Marine alternators, starters, etc. The local store may not have on on hand unless its close to the lake and there are a handful of boat shops.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Basically any marine alternator will work if the mounting ears are in the range of your bracket adjustment. I replaced my original PCM 454 alternator many years ago with a marine 10si from DB electrical. I believe it was a 105 amp model. Charges great even at idle, 1 wire hookup, and no need to rev engine to get it to start charging. I changed the charge from from the original small gauge up to a 4ga, super easy install.

Beware some of these high output (100-140+ amps) 10si if you actually have that large of a sustained current demand. The 10si is a good design but that's asking a lot of power from an old design small case alternator, longevity might not be there with sustained high loads. For an upgrade in low RPM charging with modestly more than stock current draw on my boat it worked great to replace the failing original 40-something amp alternator. I believe I used this 105 amp 10si, part# ADR0334: https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...tach-wire.html I recall it being about half that price, but it was probably 10 years ago. Still works great.

I also used a DB Electric 130 amp Ford 3g alternator on my truck, though that failed after a few months. DB wanted the failed unit back before shipping a replacement, poor customer service in that regard. I got a reman 130 amp 3g from Pep Boys, back when they still sold parts. The replacement from DB eventually came and ended up in a buddy's Mustang and still working great several years later. The Pep Boys special turned out to be a quick and dirty on their part with new brushes and regulator I'd imagine, but deeply grooved slip rings I'll have to replace myself.