Default How much leaking is normal?

Just purchased a 99 Supra Comp w/ 400 hours.

Used it for the first time this past week. The boat seems to leak, although the rate of leakage seems to be different depending on usage of the boat.

When mooring, leaking seems to be low. Perhaps 1/2 gallon overnight.

When cruising at low speeds it seems to be worse. In one case, bilge must have pumped 5 or more gallons after a 30 minute cruise.

When running at higher speeds, leakage seems to be lower. Certainly less than at low speeds, but possibly more than when mooring.

Is this something I should have looked at? This is my first inboard boat and understand the packing nut needs to be replaced/rebuilt every so often. Could this be the culprit?

I would be grateful for any guidance y'all could offer. Thanks!

There could be a number of different locations that water could be leaking. While it could be the shaft packing, it could also be leaking exhaust, rudder port or leaking water hose.

Best bet is to fill up the bilge on land and see where it is leaking out of. If you can't identify the leak from there run the engine off a garden hose and see where it could be leaking from.

Thanks h2o-ski! Will give this a try!

Check shaft packing nut , it may be able to be tightened. Exhaust thru hull fitting as mentioned but it would prob be worst when sitting over night and not increase while under way. Have someone look at the packing while under way to see if leaking increases. You may want to check your alignment to see if it’s out or if the shaft I’d bent which both could cause increase leakage under power.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks Doug!