Threaded View

Let's Move to Engine / Mechanical

8. Arco 60108 55 amp [not 75A with original harness] Alternator ebay marine_parts_source

9. Sherwood G21 GT-40 OEM Raw Water Pump RA057007 ebay rawpumps Yes, there is a guy on ebay who refurbishes your Sherwood for you. Make sure it still has a nice cam lip on it, though. Mine did and it works great.

10. Sherwood Raw Water Pump Rebuild Kit OEM 9959 23979 G15 G21 J70 K75B Skidm

11. Aqualarm with fuse #20248 https://aqualarm.net/ Thanks to Larry at FAE who recommended this important upgrade. Look carefully at the aft ends of the exhaust manifold hoses. There is a metal band and wire around each. Those contain temperature sensors linked to alarm panel you can (barely) see to the left of the steering wheel. next time I overheat the alarm and red light will sound indicating port or starboard overheat.

12. Electronic Bilge pump switch with high water alarm BG-SWA https://www.bluebgi.com/ Also a very good upgrade. I can test my bilge pumps and water alarm with the app on my phone (as mounted on my dash). No more plugged up bilge switches.

13. Rule 20DA Bilge Pump 800 GPH ¾” Submersible ebay I put a second pump in. Easy to do especially with the extra switch already in the dash.

You are probably wondering why I have dual upgraded bilge pumps that combined could put out an apartment building fire, a water alarm and overheat sensors on a 21' boat. Well, take a look at the photo of the melted stock exhaust flange. When my engine overheated (plugged not worn impeller), the exhaust flanges melted. I could hear water coming in, but could not see from where, and could not plug it. That's because on this SunSport model, the transom, where the flanges penetrate, is not accessible. When water reached the starter motor, I decided to run it aground to save it. I had some jelcoat chips but saved the boat. We had to plug the hole with a rag to tow it back to harbor. You will see below the stainless exhaust tips I now have. In my view, that plastic flange is the weakest link in an otherwise very solid boat.

61855831919__6F3B9655-02AA-416E-A4D7-3E61C86202C4(1).jpgshowing pickup.jpgIMG_2106.jpgIMG_4162.jpgIMG_3899(1).jpg
    Last edited by MySupra; 10-11-2022 at 02:01 AM.