Thread: motor trouble

Default motor trouble

I have a 1991 comp. The gears - both of them - connecting the cam shift and the distributor have been damaged so that the boat does not run. My mechanic says the best course is to replace the engine and the distributor, and after MUCH discussion, I agree. However - the difficulty is going to be to find a distributor. This distributor was only made for a few years - it was the interim design between the old mechanical distributor and fuel injection - and the mechanic is doubtful of finding one.

If he cannot, I need options. For example, I could put a DIFFERENT engine and distributor in the boat, but that custom work sounds like it could be expensive. Is that a doable option? Is there an engine type that would fit into my Comp without too much custom work?

Another option - could a machine shop repair the distributor? The distributor shaft has play in it, BOTH horizontally and vertically, which is probably what caused the gear to be damaged.

3rd option - Could a different distributor be fit onto my engine?

Help.

I would go with option 3. Distributors are pretty easy to replace as there is nothing too special about them and getting them setup. I would suggest going with an GM HEI style distributor like a Davis Unified Ignition or DUI.

Thanks for the input. Would not the gear positioning - getting the gears from the distributor and cam shaft to mesh - be a problem??

I know that when you get more into the racing side, the distributor can have shims to help with the positioning. However with a standard 351w the size and distances are known so getting the gear mesh correctly is just as easy as dropping in the new distributor. I swapped the prestolite distributor on my 350 for and ebay hei and it just dropped in and gear mesh appears fine.

I guess the point is moot now - I have been told that there are no rebuilt Ford 351's available anywhere. Thanks anyway. I will be looking for a different engine to put into the boat.

I just checked jegs, summit and Michigan motorz and they all say that they have marine 351w in stock. I know that 351w parts are getting harder to find but I highly doubt they are in back order.

If you are going the new distributor route, I had a very good result with my distributor upgrade (351W). you can see it in the photo, below.

Here it is: 27. Protec Retro Distributor (RK107025A) . Skidim. Some ask me, "what's the best upgrade you did?" This one is top three, to be sure. I can turn the key, even when hot, and idle at 400 RPM. I picked up at least four MPH.