Default This may sound like a dumb question - but oh well!

I purchased my Supra (84/85 Sunsport) a couple of months back. I have been reading the the old ignition is hard to get parts for....and should be changed over. I don't even remember looking, if this was changed over to an electronic ignition....what should I look for to see if it was. Then if it wasn't, what steps should I take to change it over or should I wait till I actually have an issue? I would rather tackle the potential issues over this winter than over my next summmer of being on the lake. I maybe only have another weekend or two, so might as well as get my list together for my winter projects(and my hidden money from my wife)

No dumb questions on here - we all have to start somewhere...

Take the distributor cap off & see what's inside. The old "points" style has a set of electrical contacts, hinged arm, spring, adjustment screws, etc. A newer electronic will simply have a fixed rotor arm and some electrical components, magnet, etc depending on the make and model. Post a pic if you're unsure & we can help identify.

To change or not is personal preference. Electronic is simple, reliable, & requires no adjustment once it's set up - but if it craps out on you, you're dead in the water. Points eventually wear out & require periodic cleaning & adjusting - but aren't likely to leave you completely stranded.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

if you have a Prestolite distributor you can get the replacement points at NAPA.
    Here are the #s
    Points-CS720P
    Condenser- AL869
    Rotor-AL125
    Cap-AL171
    Plug Wires-188802
    Skidim carries the original PCM parts

Thanks for the help......not nearly as worried