Thread: Starter Trouble

Question Starter Trouble

I have a 1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351 motor. I purchased the boat just last summer and was able to use it several times before storing it up for winter The boat runs great but my problem comes when starting it hot. After the engine is up to temperature (160F) and you shut it down, the engine turns over very slowly on restart (cold starts - the engine turns over fast, like one would expect). I don't know if maybe there is some kind of expansion happening within the starter when it gets hot (starter appears to be relatively new) causing excessive "drag" within the starter requiring more current from the battery to turn it over. The engine will always start quickly after turning over, but it turns over very slowly, like the battery is nearly dead. This problem seems to be pretty consistant to the point that I don't want to shut-down the engine while in the river.

Another starter problem which may or may not be related is that occassionally the starter will stay engaged after the engine is running. But this problem does not occur frequently (2 or 3 times in about 6 outings) like the other problem.

Any ideas about either of these problems? Anyone out there have similar experiences?

sounds like the battery cables/connections need to be checked...including where the ground is bolted to the block.

a hot engine is fully warmed and getting the most compression it will generate. this requires more juice from the starting system to turn it over.

do your battery cables get hot when it's having trouble? you might need new cables too. i think mine need to be replaced...1987. they get brittle and they also corrode under the plastic cover, just can't see it. do they sound like they're cracking and popping when you bend them?

the starter running on could be the key switch. have you tried wiggling it when that happens? also could be the solenoid hanging.

I work on the 351 alot.You most likely have 1 of 3 problems.Your timing is to high on start-up from either your timing is set too high,your timing chain is bad or you have a spring in your distribritor broke.I own a boat repair shop that specializes in MC and Supras.I run across this 3 or 4 times a year.Donnie

Hey Donnie - I've talked to you a couple of times on the phone about floor repair and stringer replacement - good to hear from you.

I talked to a neighbor that builds engines and he said the same thing about the timing - said he's seen it a hundred times. But if it's not that, the starter could be getting hot, causing excessive amperage to turn over. But he's betting it's the timing. So in the spring I will put a light on it and do a good tune-up.

By the way, I'm still getting water draining into the bilge area of the boat (stored in garage). I purchased some floor access covers (like the factory cover over the bilge pump) and drilled 4" holes through the floor and foam in a couple of places where the floor was soft. The foam seems relatively dry, but there was a small amount of water at the very bottom, next to the hull. Some of the water is coming from in the stringer through holes that were drilled into the stringer to screw hold down clamps for the fuel line. I'm still deciding whether or not to pull up the floor in the spring and possibly tear into the stringers. But I DON"T want to miss the 2009 season!

I would deffinately make sure all the cable connections are clean and tight. Make sure there is a good ground base between the 3 prong solenoid on the stbd. rear of the motor and the head. With the water intrusion that you have experienced, it may be the starter. Hope this helps, keep us posted. I hope you and your family had a Merry Christmas and I wish you a Happy and safe New Year. Brian Raymond

Thanks Brian, I'll check all of the above - after it warms up a little!

i finally got around to installing my new battery cables, got a new one for the alternator too. best $100 or so i've spent on the boat in a while.

genuinedealz.com...i went with 0 gauge and had them add battery terminals, heat shrunk the ends and all.

engine starts alot easier now, just touch the key.

If you go back in the posts about 65 days I had the exact same problem with my 87 Sunsport. First had starter rebuilt with no improvement. Then I replaced the starter switch, no luck. Last thing was a new solenoid - DING, DING, DIng. Good luck!