Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help

Yeah, I bought one like that last winter, I picked up a 92 Supra comp for literally 25% of what it should have been going for. Luckily i knew supra's pretty well, and from what i could tell it was ok. Since the 92's was all fiberglass, I didnt have to worry about "much" rot or water damage. Needless to say.. when the winter faded away, last summer.. the freeze plugs were rusted through, i managed to put new ones in without taking the engine completely out. Amongsts some other electrical problems and small leaking problems.. it took me about 100 hours of work to get her up and running great, shes all ready to go this summer. So all in retrospect.. was it worth it?... ehh... yeah the repairs costed me about $200, i saved several grand which i can use for other things. So i consider myself very lucky.

My bottom line is this... if you buy a boat in the winter, assume it will have leaks and major problems. If you have balls and are willing to accept a nearly dead boat and have some level of insanity such as myself, go for it... else if you are afraid of buying because there might be problems with it, wait till you can test drive and thouroughly check the boat. From my experience, most boats sold in the winter will be lemons... As salty said, get a contract dependent on a successful lake test.
    1992 Supra Comp TS6M
    PCM Ford 351w
    1.23:1 PCM Transmission
    ACME #422 - 12.5x15.5

I am a mechaninc so I know how to do motor and trans work but I dont want to do fiberglass

If you're not afraid of the mechcanicals, then it's back to those earlier post's get a GOOD LOOK, The more you look the more you may find......
    Hope it works out.... you and A boat!!!!

When I go I will be taking many photos so I will post anything i am unsure of

Sounds good, I didn't mean to to be rude, I ignorantly dove into a 1990 Conbrio for $3500, and love it, with it's problems!
    My feeling is there's always something you'll miss, hopefully calculated it's not HUGE. I gotta do an interior, patch work on some ding's, rebuild my trailer and paint it, probably paint the boat too, bilge pump's, wiring, new swim deck, etc... I don't have a single regret, my motor's strong and tranny is good, can't wait to buy another.....

I understand the mechanics great so I hope i find something small I can blow out of proportion to negotiate lol (Im not being a dick but its a buyers market) I am afraod because he said the front is dinged from something. I guess I will have to have a fresh battery and a new memory card!

when I was a kid my dad bought a Starcraft that had been run aground. Huge impact to the front starboard side. I guess he got a deal, it was the first boat I skied behind. it always leaked, It always planed out funny, I think because of the bent aluminium. I have fond memories, but don't think it was a good buy!!!!

Yea, definitely have to see when I get there. Hopefully there is nothing big wrong with it, just hope its the fact that he needs a job that is going to cheap