Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stringer and Floor Replacement

OK - I've been following this forum since August of last year when I purchased my 86 Sunsport Skier. (BTW - does anyone know the difference between a Sunsport and a Sunsport Skier?) I've seen all the threads and documentation of replacing stringers on this site and others. I've talked to three different shops that do the work and have been given cost estimates over the phone that are understandably subject to change. Here's my question: For those of you that have done the work yourselves, was it worth the effort and more importantly, would you do it again? And for those of you that have had the work done by someone else, are you happy with the results and would you recommend the shop that did yours? Who did you use?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

The only person I would take mine to is viper, I have seen him do severalmakes he is doing one right now on a 89 it is a huge job, and what they are doing is very impressive, he seems to go above and beyond on the products and detail he does on these jobs. His prices should be comapreable or even cheaper if I had to guess

Quote Originally Posted by jasonba1 View Post
    The only person I would take mine to is viper, I have seen him do severalmakes he is doing one right now on a 89 it is a huge job, and what they are doing is very impressive, he seems to go above and beyond on the products and detail he does on these jobs. His prices should be comapreable or even cheaper if I had to guess
    Glad to hear that, Jim has my boat in his shop as we speak!

I read a post that said you can send the boat back to the Supra factory and have all
    fiberglass stringers and floor put in for $5000? I don't know if its true but I sure like the
    way it sounds. That's the only issue with older Supras.

this is a tough question. you're going to spend twice the cost of supplies at least so the $5k figure is probably pretty close to pay someone else.

if you do it yourself, it will take months and you'll need alot of space. pulling the topcap and engine are necessary to do a complete overhaul/rebuild. it's daunting to tear your boat apart like that. not for the faint of heart.

personally, this is one of those things i wouldn't let anyone else touch. i'd do it again if i had to but i did it right this time and don't plan on getting a different boat. you won't recoup your costs if you plan on selling the boat anytime soon.

the original design doesn't allow any drainage from outside of the main stringers into the bilge. this is a critical flaw, imo. when the boat is in pieces, it's pretty easy to make minor changes like that. with someone else doing the job...you have to take them on their word for work you'll never see, sealed below the floor.

That's a good point Salty. I thought that if I did it myself I would use some fiberglass pipe to go through the stringers to allow drainage into the bilge area from all parts of the hull. My problem is space and a warm garage. No way am I gonna do it during boating season, and winters are too cold here. The prices I got are between 4 and 5K. I hate to spend that money, but in the big picture . . . . maybe it's worth it. If I were to sell and buy a newer model I would stand to spend a whole lot more money (I have about 6K in her now with repairs) - but at least if I have it rebuilt or do it myself, I know what I've got. And I really don't want a newer model. Guess I'll have to chew on that awhile.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

There is a place in Bristol,Tn called sextons marine that quoted me a little over $2000.00 and I have seen some of there work . The work looked really good and I think I may take that route next winter. Just good ole boys that Know there stuff and have very good sources for material. Im not sure if they would do any modifications unless you specifically ask for them.

I did most of the disassebly/prep work myself but let a pro handle the rest. I sometimes wonder what is actually under my floor -- but it's been 3 years and everything is still rock solid. I ended up paying him $1500 -- that included new stringers, fiberglassed in and a new floor. I still had to rebuild and recarpet the interior.

Hey doctorjd your boat is looking good I knew it was memeber on heres boat but wasnt sure who's, I was down there on Friday and it was looking good. I also got to see it when they first spilt and man there is a lot of work that goes into that. Like your boat are you having anything else done to it?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonba1 View Post
    Like your boat are you having anything else done to it?
    I wish I could just turn Jim loose on it I'm going to see where we're at when the stringer replacement is done, I'd like to go ahead and do the upholstery if I can afford it.