Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up What Do You Like About Your Inboard?

I've owned I/O's since I was in my teens. When I got my Supra, I was absolutely impressed with the transfer of power. I work on large inboard craft like cruisers and sport yachts and have always had such high regard for this type of powertrain. Even with "zeus" and "IPS" drives--though technologically cool--inboards have always been the lowest maintenance, simple and reliable, and most efficient under cruising speeds.
    I went inboard... and I will never go back.
    1992 21 Sunsport
    PTI Boss GT-40 351 w/4011 Holley 750DB
    O.J. 14X16 1.02 cup 3rh

Jack,

I will also never go back - but all I ever owned was an I/O.

I love my boat - but I am still getting used to it.

I know this is the opposite of your post intent, but I miss:

* being able to back the way "I" want ... getting better on the inboard, but not there yet.
    * when "coasting" - with the I/O - you can still "steer"

I do NOT miss that monster hanging off the back. Ask my leg about the 18 stitches from slipping off the back and hitting the outdrive - it was not running thank goodness.

I do not worry about the prop so much.

I am now learning to surf. I used to curse them (probably because I couldn't do it with the I/O).

What I love, probably more than the fact it's an inboard - is JUST the boat in general.

This time, I knew exactly what I wanted - and I have all of it but one thing. I love the
    heater. I love the cupholders - there must be about 80 of them. I love all the rear-facing seats. I love that I didn't have to add these (which I did with the old boat)

* tower
    * tower speakers
    * amps
    * nice (not killer, but nice) stereo
    * perfect pass
    * nice bimini (I have the Z5)
    * platform on the back.
    * ballast (we don't wakeboard much - I use this for surfing - most of the time, my boat is used for towing hydrofoilers)

This list goes on and on. I love my boat.

Did I mention, that I love my boat?

The thing that I have to add, a shower. here in Colorado - it makes a huge difference.
    SWMBO tells me that we will add one. (

She
    Who
    Must
    Be
    Obeyed

(the real boss)

)

I am going to remove some of the stickers - not nuts about the floating billboard.

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

For me, it's the sound, the power, the handling and maybe just the pure nostalgia of an inboard tournament ski boat - it's the overall performance you get with 8 cylinders of Detroit power linked to a solid and simple drivetrain. What more could you want?
    I grew up with outboards, then got spoiled by friends on their inboards. Now that I have mine, I'd say that's all I'll ever have in a recreational boat.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I started on jet skis, moved to an old IO then got a 1983 Correct Craft. Now in my Supra Saltare and all its glory. If you have a IO its a boat, if you have a Inboard its part of the family. Too many reasons to have a Inboard to list here. Never, ever will I own a IO.

Thumbs up Inboards for life

I started with a used 18' outboard then a new 18' IO. They were OK for general boating but when pulling they were too slow to get up . A dealer in Madison WI invited us to test drive a Supra 1987. Holy Sh*t What a difference. To me its all about the pull all the maneuverability and reverse issues with DD,VDs are a small price to pay.
    They are made to pull, there not for everyone but if you pull nothing else comes close.
    Its been better than 20 years now and I still feel the same way.
    I will never own anything else.

my family had a few i/o's when i was young. the saltare is 'my' first boat.

inboards aren't the most efficient design, they aren't cheap, they aren't terribly versatile being limited to inland lakes and flat water, they need more water under them than some other boats, yada yada...but damn...

they are a blast to drive, the engines sound incredible, the feeling of power knowing you never need to worry about getting on plane is great, they are sleek and sexy, you can play behind them all day and chill out in style too, you don't have that goofy blender hanging off the back scraping the ramp on the way out, etc, etc, etc

how about running a bridle around an outboard motor to ride?...no thanks, been there done that lol

tg08- Here's a link and PM about a DIY hot shower for under $75. Looks super simple.
    I saw your other shower thread but forgot to post this

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1065589943
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Hey MikeyD ... thanks for that!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Isn't that an awesome, cheap diy hot water shower?? I wanna do it myself! Have to keep telling myself one thing at a time. Improving ballast system is next heheheh! Maybe next year on the showe.

I wakeboarded behind a 16' i/o for at LEAST 10 years. Man oh man. My dad was having NOTHING of buying some expensive as CRAP boat when he sees guys doing air rolls outside the wake lol. So I learned 360s behind a teeny wake it just BAM pops you, no tranny at all. We made our own 3' pylon.

Once it was my turn to get my own boat, I didn't hesitate. Almost got the SN2001, there was even a 1987 owned locally by someone who I'm now buds with. He has a 93 sport now. My open bow is bigger hehehehe sorry don!

Honestly I knew what I was missing, but dang this is sweet freakin boat! I will never ever ever ever own an i/o again.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Default love that direct drive power

my first boat was a jet, fun to drive, no prop to cut ya up, but terrible on fuel and lousy for skiing( had that 3 years)

next boat was i/o v8, great handling,good power,slow speed control docking against tide flows, good watersking( had that boat 18years)

Bought a 1996 Ski Centurion when wife was pregnant, she hated it, to rough a ride in ocean, not enough free board hieght for small kids, not a great wake either!! ( sold it and kept i/o)

Bought a 1996 Ski Naughtique> great power pro poss 351 efi gt40 heads,great ski boat, awsome wake, arm ripping torque.
    not enough room for family & friends & gear( had boat 3 years)

Bought 2002 Supra Launch SS Oct 08, seats 11 people,good storage,lots of free board hieght,good in rough water,great for watersking/ wakeboarding/wake skate.( this will be my last boat)
    Dave