Default 1989 Supra Conbrio for Wakeboarding?

I am contemplating the purchase of an 1989 Supra Conbrio that is in excellent condition. The buyer is asking $7300 and I am sure he will come down a little.

I have not yet taken it for a test drive, but my very first question would be whether or not this boat is good for wakeboarding?

I currently wakeboard off the back of a 1992 Rinker 181 and wonder if the wake is any better off the back of the '89 Supra?

Thanks

I can tell you that without ballast sacks, the Conbrio (mine is a 91') throws very little wake. I use my boat for a little of everything, however, the primary user is my 11-year-old who is a novice wakeboarder. Pulling him at about 18-19 mph with no additional weight, it throws a decent wake for him. Mind you, he's not throwing wake-to-wakes yet. Get the boat up around 22-25 and the wake virtually disappears.

Also, I paid about the same for mine last Summer. Sounded like a great deal. Discovered that the port-side stringers were completely rotted out during an after-the-fact inspection last Winter. I just got my boat back from Viper Customs on Thursday after having the entire stringer/deck system re-done. It's great now, but be aware of this before you pull the trigger. Check around the motor mounts, specifically the mounting bolts. If you can, back one out and see if it shows any signs of moisture or rotted wood fibers on it.

If you're looking for an older boat specifically for wakeboarding, the Sunsport seems to be the way to go. I'm a Supra rookie so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck!
    91' Conbrio

Thanks for the quick response. I had heard from others that the wake was not great off of the '89 Supras.

I will still probably take it for a test ride tomorrow, just to see for myself.

I am looking for a used boat that throws off a good wake for $6,000-$8,000. Is it impossible to find a good wakeboarding boat for this money?

welcome to the board......
    You should definitely be able to find the boat for that kinda money, but rotten floors and stringers are the killer for the pre '92 Supra model's.....I would highly recommend looking around the bilge area for rot on any boat you intend on buying from this time period....
    I bought a '90 Conbrio last august and got lucky with my floor and stringer's, needless to say the rest of the boat needs work.....Hopefully I can find a way to kick the wake up on it, this is something I've been thinking about a lot.
    Happy hunting.......keep us posted, and pic's are always good....love those old Supra's....
    90 Conbrio

I got my 86 supra saltare, 23.6 foot inboard with monster wake for under 6k. I have put another 1k into it and alot of elbow grease. The wake is big. You may want to look for a Saltare. Check stringers on anyone you buy.

If you know wakeboarding / surfing is your primary use of the boat, you should focus your search on the SunSport (or Bravura for closed bow version of SunSport) or the Saltare as your backup (Pirata is a closed bow Saltare).

The rest of the models ride very low in the water (like the Conbrio) and can't take a lot of weight unfortunatly.
    Last edited by 87SunSportMikeyD; 05-26-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Thanks for all of the advice, it is really helpful.

The Sunsport or Saltare really are the model's you should be looking for, if you happen to buy a Conbrio, let me know how the battle with increasing the wake goes....LOL
    90 Conbrio