Thread: Winterize?

Default Winterize?

What do you do to winterize the fat sacs? and the heater?

I make sure the water fill pumps are dry and disconnect all of the fat sacks. Keep them indoors until you're ready to ride again. Not sure on the heater.
    2002 SSV Owner

I've read alot of horror stories on the heater freezing so I do the following;
    I run antifreeze in through the pick-up and drain the block, take out the pump and impeller, then I disconnect both of the water lines to the heater - mine are at the block near the thermostat and at the water pump elbow- and I blow real hard. First antifreeze and water comes out, then just air and I know I'm done. This has worked for four years at latitude 43 degrees.

87 Sunsport,

Is your boat a v-drive?
    2002 SSV Owner

Default Replying to Topic 'Winterize?'

Taking out the fat-sacks sounds lika a good idea. As to heaters just find your water lines and pump antifreeze through the heater until you get pure antifreeze out of the return line. Leave the antifreeze in the heater & reconnect your water lines (after winterization of course) next spring when you start your motor, the raw water will flush the system for you. Just be curtious and use an environmentaly friendly antifreeze. I suggest a similar treatment for showers.