Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

wotan2525, Will it hurt to remove the circuit breaker. I cant find one anywere local. What size breaker are you use with your 160amp alt? I have a 140amp that i an going to replace the old one with.

Default Installing Larger Alternators

If you go to a larger aternator you MUST also increase the size of the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery (orange wire) as well as the alternator ground wire if there is one. The wires on the engine are sized for the alternator the engine was built with. You should not have to change the 50A breaker because the orange wire from the alternator runs directly to the large stud on the starter solenoid then to the battery and does not go through the breaker. That breaker is designed to protect the engine and the boat harness and you should not be taking your accessory voltage from that circuit. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I can send you a wiring diagram that shows the alternator and breaker.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    If you go to a larger aternator you MUST also increase the size of the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery (orange wire) as well as the alternator ground wire if there is one. The wires on the engine are sized for the alternator the engine was built with. You should not have to change the 50A breaker because the orange wire from the alternator runs directly to the large stud on the starter solenoid then to the battery and does not go through the breaker. That breaker is designed to protect the engine and the boat harness and you should not be taking your accessory voltage from that circuit. If you PM me with your e-mail address, I can send you a wiring diagram that shows the alternator and breaker.
    Interesting... I might have to revisit this. I believe my alternator is running directly to the large stud on the starter and then from the starter to the breaker. Maybe I'm wrong. I upgraded to a larger breaker but maybe should rethink that.

I wouldn't run it without a breaker.... it's there for a safety reason. I've PM'd you Engine Nut.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.