Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Packing the drive shaft stuffing box

I went online to find more information on how to repack the driveshaft stuffing box and found what I think is a good site with a very good graphical explaination. Can you guys take a look at this site and tell me if that is pretty much what I am going to see on my boat? It looks like a pretty easy job....but I know the minute I say that. Here is the site. If it looks good let me know it may be a good resource for others on here who are looking to do this. It looks like the site is for a sailboat motor but this job seems like it would be universal. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreicated.

Also I think I need the 3/16" size packing. Do you recommend using the regular flax packing or the Gore graphite packing.

thanks for your help.

Here is the site.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1
    1984 Supra Rider

Looks really good! I even learned a couple of tips!

I just did mine on Monday, and well it is what it is lol. I thought it was a PITA but I get a bad attitude when I'm hot and sweat'n. Prolly ez on a different floor layout than mine. Going to do a water test tomorrow and get it dialed in.

P.S. I used the same website above for reference. good chit. I used 3/16th
    Last edited by Hematoma; 06-03-2009 at 09:10 PM.

i've always had dripless so i can't personally say but from the message boards i read, the goretex gets very good reviews.

I packed mine last year using the information in the same site. It was very helpful and easy to follow. You do want the 3/16" and I used regular flax. Once you put the boat in the water you need to carefully monitor drip flow through the packing. Check it both in gear and in neutral and check it often for the first few hours. It took me awhile to get the flow rate regulated. If you leave the boat in the water overnight, be sure the bilge pump is on auto just in case.

I packed mine using the goretex. I am vitually dripless. I cant say it doesnt drip but every time I stare at it on the water, no drip at all. Easy job to do.

Well I'm glad I wont need to do this again for awhile! What a F'n PITA. I left at 7am and just got back at 2:30 my time. I could not get that bas-turd to drip for chit. Also the nut would get hot as hell. I finally had to take 1 of the 3 rings out to get it to function and stay cool like its suppose to. Everything is fine now. Good luck to whoever is about to do this. May the force be with you.

Default 2 or 3

For those who have repacked their drive shaft. Did you use 2 or 3 rings? Sounds like 2 is the right number.
    1984 Supra Rider

Ive done it on a couple boats and I always used three rings. Never had any problems.
    Last edited by saltare inverts; 07-02-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saltare inverts View Post
    Ive done it on a couple boats and I always used three rings. Never had any problems.
    Did mine today...really wasnt that bad of a job. I used the instructions from the website I posted earlier. I also made the tool he described out of PVC pipe. It worked great for seating the packing. Not a bad job at all.
    1984 Supra Rider