Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Help having problems with reverse and freak out in shallow water

Hi Guys, I love my 2002 SSV Launch but dang that reverse thing is tripping me up. I boat at a pretty shallow lake. Had a littke 17.5 Sea Ray Sport w/ tower before very easy to drive and maneuver onto the trailer and back away from the dock after dropping off my husband.
    I've given myself time to get used to it but it is not getting any better. Everytime I drive my husband up to the dock and drop him off when I go to back up the darn end of the boat kicks over the right hand side throws me into shallow water (luckily it is a mudd bottom) but depth finder read 3.5 ft the tother day and kicked up some major mudd. To close for comfort.
    I can pick him up and back out no problem. We think it might be his body weight when he gets of the boat kicking it to the right I have to back up have no choice because of the depth and set up of the boat ramp. Any pointers suggestions. Do you think if I ease him up the ramp he grabs on to the nose of the boat and pushes me straight back would that work ? If not I'm either going to make him swim for it, or learn to back a trailer . I can't handle these close calls freaks me out !!! Out of curiousity what is the bare minimum amount of water that the boat can run in without screwing with the prop......... everything else is great love to wakesurf, but gotta get this reverse figured out

First thing is to relax and not freak out. My wife can drive our 23.6 foot boat better than any guy. She can back the truck and trailet just as well. I would have him go off bow. You need to fix it so you are comfortable, sound like you have a solution. I would not go in water any less than three foot. You may hit mud last time but one of those times the will be a rock or cynder block. You dont want to suck mud into engine either. If you do hit bottom take it out of gear and push away with oar. Better yet make husband drive boat you back down trailer.

Default thanks

I think you right i just need to stay calm the funny thing with "regular" boats not V Drives......I was the pro I would drive everyone else's boat up on the trailer. I noticed you were in Missouri what lake do you go to ? We go to Clearwater Lake in Piedmont .........

The reason why the boat kicks to the right when you put it into reverse is because of where the propeller is located, infront of rudder. On an outboard or I/O boat, you steer with the propeller, on a shaft drive boat or and inboard, the rudder does all the steering and not the prop. the reason why your boat goes to the right all the time in reverse is because the propeller is turning to the left, making the boat go to the right. It is something to get use to, but let your husband no it has nothing to do with his weight.

Regarding the depth you are able to go to in your boat, most inboards can run fairly shallow, my comp can run up to 3 feet in depth (not that I want to though). This all depends on how deep your keel is, once you find that measure, you should be good to go!

Good luck.

DZ

Cool hmmmmm

Seriously though when I pick him up it backs out no problem maybe because he is talking to me saying I come into fast. I like to come in fast to the dock that way the throttle is engaged and I have control then kick it in reverse when I get close ....... seems to fish tail the right if you let off the throttle to quick. Just something I will have to work on love everything else though and wakesurfing is so much fun not mention the room we have in the V drive vs. normal runabout

Take it slow drop him off and have him push the boat back with his foot .
    You should drift clear of shallow water.
    Then practice slow maneuvers forward and reverse try bumping the throttle at idle
    and see what the boat does its a delayed reaction but the boat will turn.
    Do this in forward and reverse away from everything.
    Play with it turn the wheel both ways see how the boat reacts.
    By using short slow bursts of thrust you can maneuver the boat any direction.

I quit pulling along the dock years ago......inboards are the sports cars of the lake...they different.

Here's how i do it:
    Anybody getting on & off do it from the bow.....come up slow to the dock, get whoever ready, when close get them upfront and bring the nose/front up slow & steady....be ready to reverse( usally hard) as soon as they get off.....short/hard burst of the throttle(reverse) usally lessen the "sliding-right" feeling you get....but its still there.....reverse on inboards is a pig....hard to get used to....now, i can dock it, trailer it or whatever but its difficult and it never gets "easy".( ...and you know it ain't boys!~)

But lets face it.....if i'm not comfortable, then "whomever" is gonna swim for it!.....and thank God for mud bottoms.
    RED WINE ROCKER~2005 SUPRA LAUNCH 21 (PHOTO BOAT!)
    LAKE LANIER/LAKE BURTON/LAKE BLUE RIDGE

http://www.myspace.com/atlantawhiskeydawgs
    ...my band this year.

I normally go on the Missisppi river, Mark Twain Lake, and Bull Shoals lake atleast twice a year. How far is Clearwater from Saint Louis. I am always looking for a new spot to try. Is it clear as the name states.

Sheesh everyone knows the real answer, You gotta get a DIRECT DRIVE!!!!! V-drives are the Cargo trucks of the inboards, Directs are the sports cars.

instead of coming into the dock straight on, come in at a flatter angle with the port side toward the dock (45 degree angle). when reverse kicks in, it will kick the stern over so that you're lined up with the dock to back straight out.

i prefer to approach the dock slowly but being near the bottom of a dam, we usually have a pretty good current to have fun with. when the dam is releasing water, if you don't gun it you're going to get swept out of position. it's kinda old because i truly believe in the saying that you shouldn't come in any faster than you're willing to hit something. you never know when the engine will stall or the prop will get fouled.