Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super traps

Question super traps

has anyone removed there super traps and gone with rubber flaps? is this a bad idea? i was reading in a nother post and they mentioned maintance on the super traps does anyone no what to do to maintain them too keep water out ..
    Last edited by gerdy; 06-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.

I removed mine and went with through hull fitting with flappers but remember to put a muffler in there. I gotta go back and install one or a fae on mine, as it's to loud.
    1987 pirata with a 454

I just took the super traps off and have not done anything yet. I am on my second season like that. I will probably go with flappers of stainless tips eventually but have done nothing yet. I have a 351W and i like the sound it makes with out them!

I'd be interested in knowing how to go about changing over from the supertrapps to flappers. Is there a kit available for that?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I don't see why you would want to do that. The Supratraps don't really DO anything, and neither do the flappers. Getting water in your exhaust pipes is no big deal. As long as the bolt holes going into your transom don't leak, that could be a big problem. There is no maitenance on SupraTraps. They are just rings of metal stacked on top each other. If you want to check them out, remove one. It is just one bolt. Unless you have a real desire to make changes, I would not say there is any benefit to be gained by switching. I have Fresh Air Exhaust and it's real nice and quiet.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

they seem that there restrictive a lot of water a exhaust has to get out of those small plates... less restriction, more flow, makes more power..

Gerdy,
    exactly!!! I was thinking of going to straight stainless outlets with no flapper. I was going to do this for looks more than anything. Taking off the super traps causes less restriction with equal horsepower. The outlets are screwed and caulked into place and a hose clamp secures the exhaust to the outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by 87SunSportMikeyD View Post
    I don't see why you would want to do that. The Supratraps don't really DO anything, and neither do the flappers. Getting water in your exhaust pipes is no big deal. As long as the bolt holes going into your transom don't leak, that could be a big problem. There is no maitenance on SupraTraps. They are just rings of metal stacked on top each other. If you want to check them out, remove one. It is just one bolt. Unless you have a real desire to make changes, I would not say there is any benefit to be gained by switching. I have Fresh Air Exhaust and it's real nice and quiet.
    My only problem with the supertrapps is that they do require maintenance in that you need to be sure the seal between the mounting flange and the 3" tube is never compromised. I resealed mine this year with 3M 4200 caulk so they are good for now, but the previous owner did not keep up with this and that's probably one of the main reasons why I have some stringer rot and wet foam in my boat. I believe this is the reason that manufacturers no longer use the supertrapps. Other than that, I like 'em. They sound good and look cool to me.
    Today 09:03 PM
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

is resealing those an easy project??

Gerdy - check your private message. It's not a difficult job.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com