Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating the perfect wave

I thought I would post this to have some folks chime in and let people know what setup they are using to create a nice wave to surf on. On my '08 Sunsport 22V, I have found the 750's in the rear corners have made a huge difference for enjoyable surfing without using the rope.

Drivers side - Fill 750 lb rear, wake plate all the way up, do not fill front sac, speed at about 10.2-10.6 MPH. As many people possible on that side of the boat.

Passenger side - Fill 750 lb rear, wake plate at 1/2 down, do not fill front sac, Speed at about 10.6-11.0 MPH.

For some reason I am getting no benefit from filling the center ballast sac, other than sucking more fuel down, and less driver control because of the added weight. With the 750's my rear swim platform is about 4" under water when the boat is sitting, which is helping drive that rear corner deep into the water to produce a nice wave. I will try and get some pics this week and post them up.

With this setup we are now easily throwing the rope in and free surfining even with a larger, slower broadcast 5.6 board. I am getting ready to purchase a smaller, 4.5-4.8 faster board which should even get better.

I am attaching a photo from a '07 Moomba LSV using my setup plus an additional 200 lbs under the bench, which is making a nice wave. The Moomba is a little narrower than my Sunsport (98" beam compared to 100" beam), but I believe they are very similiar hull designs.

If you have a certain setup you are using, please post it up here for people to try out.

Fman
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fman; 06-22-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Awesome! And look at that blue water!!!
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

20ssv.
    usually only have 3-4 of us, so we run 750 rear corner, 400 in center floor, 450 in the nose, and another 450 on the left seats. makes a good wake around waist high and 12-14ft behind the boat.
    sounds like a lot of weight, and the rear corner is usually on a couple of inches out of the water, but the 20 rides low in the water as it is.

I just bought a surfboard and am still trying to dial my wake in. I have the stock rear ballast and those are 400lbs right? I have been looking into getting upgraded bags like the 750's that I hear people talk about. Also, what size is the stock center bag on a '05 22 SSV? I look forward to seeing what people are doing to get some fatty waves to surf. Im a beginner so the bigger the wave the better!
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Better upgrade those to 750s this week while the wakemakers discount is on you could save a bunch. Personally I would put the 400s in the bow and fill one or the other for surfing and both for boarding.

Do you guys like to weight the rear just on the surf side, or do you like to weight the entire rear, then put an extra sac on the surf side? The latter is what I do.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I just commented trying to get more info on how great of a deal it is. If its a steal I would think about upgrading the rears. What I do now is fill one side up and the front about halfway.

I dont think the 400's would fit in the bow, plus I dont have the time to re-run pumps and hoses, etc. I was thinking get the 2 750's then maybe one of those movable 150's for fine tuning. After I get up boarding I always have to tell them stop and rearrange people in the boat. They are learning though where they need to be, haha.

Shoot me a PM if you got the info on the group buy! Thanks
    2005 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Semper Fidelis

Anyone out there surfing behind a 24 SSV? Can't get the wake right- I can drop the rope behind a buddies 21 Malibu, but no luck yet behind my boat.

Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Anyone out there surfing behind a 24 SSV? Can't get the wake right- I can drop the rope behind a buddies 21 Malibu, but no luck yet behind my boat.

Any tips?
    What ballast sacs are you running? If they are the stock 400's, go with the 750's and you will see a noticeable difference right there. On my 22 I am running between 10.2-10.8 MPH, but this changes with the amount of people you have in the boat. I would think with the added length of the 24, you would see even a better wake. From what other people have said, addind additional weight to the front bow area also helps lengthen the wave.

Have the two 400s in the stern, and the 1150 in the bow. Also have a 750 that I place when I need. Have tried the 750 in the stern locker (I ride goofy), with the bow sack filled, and can't seem to get a decent curl. VAB on the side we are riding. I think I may try filling the 400 on the opposite side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post

Any tips?
    I have the same boat/ballast and just started surfing this year, having similar experiences with the wake. So far I get the best wave from filling my center 1/2, the surfing side completely full with a second 400lb in the same locker, the other side empty and the plate all the way up. The wave is very big but sloppy on top, surfing w/o the rope is no problem just and ugly wave. Speed seems best at 11mph but I havent checked the accuracy of my PerPass yet, I think if might be off a little.

I'm replacing the aft 400s with 750s this week and plan on surfing a lot this weekend, let you know how it goes.