Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation steering wheel, cable unit

hi guys, thanks for reading my post, i just put the top half of my boat 86 supra comp ts6m back on the bottom half after replacing the floor, new carpet . . anyways, i hooked up the steering again and the only way i can get the steering wheel to be in the right place to go straight, the cable hangs straight down out of the reel thing. i know that was not like that before but i cannot figure out how to change it because the shaft that comes out of that reel thing has a notch in it that fits where the steering wheel goes so no matter how i turn it i can not get that cable to be out of the way.

please help, it is hot here and i want to get this boat in the water asap!!

Thanks

Default steering

Need help guys, my steering wheel is 90 degrees off when going straight, how do i fix it?

I think it has a spline shaft that goes into the rotary steering box.. If you turn the wheel to where the rudder is straight and then unbolt the steering box >> Pull it back so you can move the steering wheel to the straight position and then push it back on... bolt it up and BAM! Fixed!

Good luck!

OG

Quote Originally Posted by Oilguy View Post
    I think it has a spline shaft that goes into the rotary steering box.. If you turn the wheel to where the rudder is straight and then unbolt the steering box >> Pull it back so you can move the steering wheel to the straight position and then push it back on... bolt it up and BAM! Fixed!

Good luck!

OG

BINGO! The little allen screws on the wheel are just for decoration. Underneath the supra logo cap in the center of the wheel is big ole nut. Take it off and pull the wheel to remove; just be careful not to hit yourself in the face with the wheel. Put the wheel on straight, replace the nut and cap and you're done.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Then put the boat in the water!!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Then show us alot of pics.

How hard is it to replace the steering cable with the topdeck still attached. I am assuming it can be done but probably not as easily as having the top deck off the boat. Also what brand of cable should I go with and what length.

thanks
    1984 Supra Rider

I replaced mine with whole boat together. I only moved engine cover and drivers seat. Was not a hard job at all.

thanks...that sounds good. What kind of cable did you buy...size? Make?
    1984 Supra Rider

Don't want to step on any threads toes here, but Ive got a ton of play in my steering wheel, could it be a bad cable?
    I haven't looked any further yet, are there adjustments on the steering to tighten things up????
    90 Conbrio