Thread: Excess Water!

Default Excess Water!

I noticed this year my comp was taking on a little more water than usual, so i got to looking around the driveshaft where it comes out of the tranny and noticed a slight Wobble that looked like was allowing water to seep in..I realize this Wobble of the shaft is from a nicked up prop. could this be the major cause of the excess water or..? Im thinking too that i may need to take a look around the swim platform mounts and the underside of the boat where the fins are at? Has anyone had problems with excess water and where did you start checking for it????

Yeah, my shaft packing need's doing and it sounds like yours does do, if your prop and or drive shaft are bent or out of alignment they would put more stress on the shaft packing making it break down quicker, not to mention a bunch of over stuff...
    You might also want to check the o-rings on the rudder assembly for a leak as well.....
    90 Conbrio

Thanks mapleleaf for the input, any sealant you would recommend to put around rudder and fins?

oh boy....I'm no internet wizard so linking you to the proper threads is out of the question,
    The rudder has o-rings that will need to be replaced, should be available any where plumbing parts are sold....
    The prop shaft has a male and female nut on it before it goes thru the hull inside them is packing, haven't done mine yet, but have the understanding, it isn't the hardest looking job, but requires a few key steps....those 2 nuts are adjusted to allow a slow drip to lube/cool the prop shaft while it spins....
    If you do a search here on shaft packing you should find a wicked thread detailing the job.....
    Good Luck...I'm doing mine wed. I'll let cha know.....
    Sealant sh0uld be 3M 4200......
    90 Conbrio

I had leaks from my swim platform bolts. I took out the lags and put in bolst with aluminum backer plates. The 3m sealant Mapleleaf mentioned is carried at Walmart. It is sticky stuff but it does seal a boat well.