Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Carb....I cann't win!

Ok so I my new (rebuilt) carb came in the mail today and its not the same exact carb that I have on my boat now. I asked for a 4160....and I got a List-7128. It looks almost the same the connections for the throttle and choke are all in the same place but the one thing that is much different is the fuel intake.. It still is coming down on the correct side at a 45degree angle but instead of the normal one this one has about a 1" bare pipe coming down...can I make this work or do I need to send it back and waste another 2 weeks not on the water?

Maybe you need a fuel line adapter of some sort?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Yea seems like that would work...is there such thing?

Duct tape should do the trick. Just kidding. I bet it will work. Put up some pics, well figure it out.

Also I don't remember the "holes" on my carb...do I have to plug any of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is not a marine carb. A marine carb does not have externally adjustable floats. If this carb is not calibrated for marine use, it will just be a headache until it is replaced. Believe me, I tried to use a Holley truck avenger for a year but I could never get the boat to run right with that carb.

Look in the Holley carb store on e-bay. You can get a new marine carb for $300.

The Holley web-site has specs for each carb by list number. 7128 is not listed. Check the air horn for the correct list number.
    Last edited by agetech; 07-21-2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added info
    agetech
    89 Comp
    Restored to "Better than New"

Here is what it says...

That is a Ford part number. If that is a marine carb, the float bowls have been changed. I don't know if that part number can be checked to see what motor that carb originally fit. The vents look like they are marine style. The base on that carb has a pcv port, does your engine use the spacer with the PCV port? Also the choke on that carb looks like it uses the older style manifold heat stove into the port next to the choke. Does your boat just have 2 wires to the choke and no heat pipe?

I just don't think you will be happy with the carb in the pictures. Look for:
    poor unsteady idle
    hesitation or stumble on acceleration
    poor fuel economy
    hard to start when hot

Been there, done that. It was just frustrating trying to use the wrong part, new carb and all those problems are gone. Can't believe how easy my boat starts now, even when hot.
    agetech
    89 Comp
    Restored to "Better than New"

Yea I don't have a spacer. And two wires to the choke and no tube. At this point I'm not real worried about the choke cause it never worked on my old one and I just want to salvage part of the season! Here are some overall pictures. All input would be greatly appriciated.

Ok so I did some searching and skidim.com lists the LIST number 7128 under there 4160 rebuild kit...thats atleast a little incouraging.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0118-1
    Last edited by denwbaseball; 07-22-2009 at 08:10 AM.