Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bow safety chain/cable & transom tie-downs?

With the new/used boat (1990 Supra Sunsport) purchase, among the list of things to do for the rig is I need some safety measures right away. I need a bow safety chain and some transom tie-down straps. The boat and trailer (original to the boat) are sans said safety equipment. What have you guys been using? I noticed a welded 1/4"-3/8” loop just below the bow eye on the trailer, I’m sure this is for the bow safety chain and I am considering using a coated cable from there to the bow eye. Also, with the swim platform being removable on mine, I am just thinking of removing the platform, placing it in the boat and strapping down the transom to the rear lifting eyes for long travels. Is this what you other guys are doing? Thanks for you help in advance…

I use these and they are the bomb, but if your trailer does not have the mounts for them it will cost a little more for the mounting brackets.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1008&r=view

Mount brackets

A lot of people just use this style strap that is adjusted once and then you just flip the latch to tighten. I have used these in past for both transom and bow. Currently I am using the factory boat buddy latch to keep the bow ring in place. Have heard mixed reviews on the boat buddy latch, but mine seems to work ok, but does not always automatically latch every time.

Dave
    Last edited by Sluggo; 07-22-2009 at 12:08 PM.

tech, when I bought my supra, it also lacked this safety equipment. I also have a set of rings welded to the trailer, so I got about 18" of heavy coated chain and a hook, and attached that to the front ring. On the rear I have 2 ratchet straps, 2" wide, I do not remove my fiberglass platform when towing- the straps fit very well!

My 89 came with a long strap that goes around the rear of the boat just over the rear seat and attaches to the side rails of the trailer. Taking the swim platform off would be a pain.
    On my new boat I have the straps that sluggo suggested I attach them to the swim platform brackets.

I use the Boat Buckle's for transom straps, and instead of a safety chain to scratch the black paint on my trailer, I use a coated cable with loops on both ends and a padlock.

The Boat Buckle's are badass.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

I use a aluminum turnbuckle on the front eye that attaches to a SS hook I mounted to the trailer. On the aft of the boat I use an old belt. Just kidding. I use formentioned straps.

My boat has a bow ring that I hook to the winch and the stern is just cradled by the trailer fenders. Had my Sunsport for 10 years and a Supra Rider for 14 years before this one and neither have ever been strapped down on the stern. Both feel really secure on the trailer. Guess that motor weight directly in the middle of the boat acts like an anchor. My brother now owns the Rider and trailers it the same way. Here is a picture of the Rider sitting on the trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could that Rider look any better???......nice looking gelcoat!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Thanks... It has been garage kept for 26 years. It has had new flooring, partial stringer replacement(back), new decals, new interior, and of couse a good buffing. The engine is still running strong. Just found out the stringers are soft under the engine. My brother is real excited about the expense and trouble. I should have replaced the entire stringers when the floor was replaced: however, that was 12 years ago since that was done.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavchris View Post
    My boat has a bow ring that I hook to the winch and the stern is just cradled by the trailer fenders. Had my Sunsport for 10 years and a Supra Rider for 14 years before this one and neither have ever been strapped down on the stern. Both feel really secure on the trailer. Guess that motor weight directly in the middle of the boat acts like an anchor. My brother now owns the Rider and trailers it the same way. Here is a picture of the Rider sitting on the trailer.
    Hope you don't have an accident or rear-end somebody. Transom straps won't completely save it, but they'll definitely help.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery