Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My Sunsport has a strap that goes around the rear above the rear seat. Hooks to the trailer on both sides. It prevents the boat from bouncing off the trailer and slamming back down when towing.

Michael that is a very practical idea for older owners because they don't come with the D-Rings on transom. My old I/O had a strap like this one.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I just thought I'd chip in.... my boat doesn't have tie-downs on it, either.... but it has NEVER moved while traveling.

I typically only pull it a mile at speeds under 25MPH, but I don't worry about it at all. It's a heavy-ass boat and it would take a lot more than a sudden stop before it came off the trailer.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

my turn

i used to tow without straps. the boat moved a few times but not very far. i kinda kept an eye on it, it was on my mind whenever i had to go faster than 20.

i use straps now and know the boat isn't going anywhere. i don't have to think twice about the boat staying put...potholes, curbs, turning a corner too sharp and running 1 side off the pavement, getting rear ended, someone pulling out in front of you (i don't know why people love to do that to trucks pulling trailers, they must have never driven one)...lots of ways for something to happen.

insurance might cover some damages but a ticket for an unsecured load is no joke. some places have made the fine $5k or more. if someone gets hurt, medical coverage on most insurance policies is a joke too. with a ticket and injuries, you won't have to wait long for the lawsuits. straps seem to me to be a cheap way to avoid any of that crap. i realize most of us will never get in this fictional accident but it's a bad enough scenario to me to do whatever i can to prevent it.

Salty, I could not have said it better myself...cheap insurance, and peace of mind! On a side note, look how clean Micheal Hunters trailer is!!!

Yeah Mike, did you repaint your trailer?! Mine is in need of a little tlc on the fenders... but it's a nice original from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by techsledder View Post
    Yeah Mike, did you repaint your trailer?! Mine is in need of a little tlc on the fenders... but it's a nice original from the factory.
    The fenders have been repainted. When the trailer was new they installed plywood with carpet on top of the fenders. They rusted the fenders within the first 2-3 years.

On another note, I rebuilt my rusted out fenders this year and painted my trailer. My dad and I decided to make the new fender's and step's removeable so we bolted them to the trailer frame, this has worked but has taught me a few things about trailer's....
    They vibrate...a lot, I regularly tow my boat up north and maybe average a 2 hour trip to the lake I'm going to, this would be time spent at highway speeds. I had to swap out my original nuts for nylock's and have noticed a couple times that the boat's position on the bunk's is slightly different when at the launch...
    Granted the driver of the Ram hit that pole do'inmaybe40 or better,I like knowing that the back of my boat is strapped to the trailer, even for short distance's....
    Pretty incredible that the light pole doesn't seem to upset by the accident, Sorry Chrysler guys I guess that's why they say...
    "If you can't Dodge it Ram it!"
    90 Conbrio

Mapleleaf, now thats funny! Never heard that one, and I'm a dodge guy from way back!