Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spare Prop

Clint...thanks for the info. I need to get my redone this fall as well. That is a great price for repair on an inboard prop. I know my dad just had his redone on his I/O and I think it cost him $75...so that seems pretty good for a brass prop.
    1984 Supra Rider

Strut bearings - I'm not sure the proper way to check them - but once a month or so I try to wiggle the prop shaft while the boat is on the trailer, then I turn the shaft and try to wiggle it again. I don't know if the bearings are within tolerance, but I can be sure that things aren't getting any worse. Will have them replaced this winter when the boat is having stringers replaced.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Hey clint

I am going to send my prop out this winter to the place you mentioned to get it redone. Do you need a prop puller to get it off the shaft? Figured I should pick one up off of skidim but wanted to see if you need it.

thanks

Lets go Mountaineers!!!! - I am a little worried about our football season coming up.
    1984 Supra Rider

WVU is gonna have their work cut out for them this year for sure.

You will need some kind of puller to remove the prop. I used a good qulity gear puller that I had in my toolbox.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

as a rule of thumb the strut bearings should be replaced every 300 hours under normal operating conditions. in silty or sandy water more often. they are only $60.00-$65.00. small price for no vibrations and way cheaper than replacing a shaft or prop. jus my .02 hope it helps.
    Last edited by bones77; 08-20-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Every once in a while you stumble across a small company that offers a great service at a reasonable price, and whenever that happens I like to offer up a "plug" for that company by sharing my experience with others:

When I purchased my boat it needed a new prop because the one it was bent and out of balance. So I bought another prop last year, and just last week I got around to sending the old one out for repair so I would have a spare. The company I picked from an internet search turned out to be really good in my opinion. The name is Proper Pitch, LLC and they are in Selbyville, DE. They turned my prop around in a week's time, paid the return shipping and supplied ISO data sheets from their CNC machinery that give pitch and diameter information for each blade of the prop! The total cost for my prop (3-blade NiBrAl 13x13) was $113 plus about $12 to ship it to Delaware. I am very pleased with the results!

Their website is www.properpitch.com
    Email [email protected]
    i only live about 30 miles from that place and never heard of them. thanks! i have a bad prop and will see if they can redo it for me. thanks man!!!
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

thanks for the $.02. To install the new strut bearings I am assuming you have to remove the drive shaft. Once it is out how do you remove the old strut bearings? Use a hammer to knock them out? Looking to do mine this fall.
    Last edited by chautauquasun; 08-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    1984 Supra Rider

i checked out my boat since everything is messed up. i have no shaft in it and its on the trailer. there are 2 small allen screws in my strut that held the bearings in. i took em out and the bearings came out easily. i stuck my finger in and pulled and came right out. also looked at the proper pitch site and they have them and anything shaft related aswell. skidim.com also had them too.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Great....thanks for the info. I was think I was going to need a puller for those too. another project for this fall. I keep telling my son...we are about a year away from the boat being where it should be. Have had a lot of fun working on it to date and cant wait for next years season with all the repairs completed.

thanks for the help!
    1984 Supra Rider

Never knew the strut had bearings! How do you pull them with the shaft still on???????
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey