Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default removing wake plate

Has anyone ever remove there wakeplate.Im currently running mine flat to the bottom of the boat and like my wake,but as i was putting new lights on my trailor today i just looked up and wondered.My brothers boat is a malibu with the wedge but weighted down it puts out a nice size wake (with the wedge up).So for craps and giggles i just wondered if anyone had tried it.let me know or ill be the first to try and see what it does.why not

The manual suggests that the purpose of the wake plate is "anti-cavitation". This would suggest that the wake plate is areally to fix to an inherant problem with the hull, and the sales department decided to highlight as an enhancement. The ability to adjust the wakes shape may just have been a bonus.

I can't speak from any experience, but it is possible that you won't be happy with the boats performance without it.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    The manual suggests that the purpose of the wake plate is "anti-cavitation". This would suggest that the wake plate is areally to fix to an inherant problem with the hull, and the sales department decided to highlight as an enhancement. The ability to adjust the wakes shape may just have been a bonus.

I can't speak from any experience, but it is possible that you won't be happy with the boats performance without it.
    i hear ya but hell it isnt BUT 23 screws holding it on.ill let ya know how it works .im gonna try it sunday.

The wakeplate on my boat can keep teh boat from porposing, so it's much more than a wakeplate.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Yeah the wake plate is 'anti-cavitation' - If you are experiencing cavitation or vibration you can change the angle the boat drives through the water with the wake-plate. Also if the boat is too 'nose-high' in the air, you can put the plate down a bit and correct it.

If you have a manual wakeplate, I have heard it is possible to set the plate 'above-horizontal' position, similar to removing the plate or removing all water displacement at the transom of the boat.

Personally though I think it works best at just a touch 'down-from-horizontal' position when weighted.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I've got my manuel plate a bit up from horizontal and the wake is the biggest it's ever been, but with some sacrifice, the boat definitely handles chop worse as the nose isn't being pushed down as much......after reading this thread I think I'm going to lower it before my next run.... I liked it when it could push through the chop a little better!
    90 Conbrio

i removed it for craps and giggles and it didnt work for crap.if you want to ride a "wheelie" all the way across the lake .it wouldnt plain out for nothing .it was worth it thou now i know it was put on for a reason LOL

I bent mine slightly up and can see a SLIGHT difference in the wake, made it not case over as much...I have a comp that throws an awesome wake without any weight and dont understand why some folks talk about a comp's wake being small....I dont get it?? as soon as I get a chance and think to bring the camera I will post pics of the wake...better yet just got my new GoPro camera in maybe a video or 2 to come!! Stay Tuned...

I've lowered mine down a few times by taking the machined screws out of it, such as when I'm draining the oil. Now I'm having a problem with losing those screws because the rams are plastic and they were threaded. Guess I'm gonna have to get some longer bolts, nuts, and lockwashers. <--So remember this when you guys remove yours or disconnect it from the rams.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I have a comp that throws an awesome wake without any weight and dont understand why some folks talk about a comp's wake being small....I dont get it??
    At 30 or 32 mph, the Comps wake is just tiny, it is just a feather to cross on the slalom ski. :0] Actuall, at slow speed and zero ballast, my wake is pretty big near the boat, but it's not terribly large or well shaped at the end of the rope. I think the addition of ballast will increase the size and improve the shape of the wake farther behind the boat.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4