Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sunsport vs Mariah vs Saltair

I'm looking for an old wakeboarding boat my price limit is about $8,000. I've been seeing Sunsports, Mariahs and, Saltairs. What is the difference between these boats? It seems the Saltair is a larger boat. Is it better for wakeboarding because of its size? Anyone who knows these boats well could prob help me out a lot. Which one has the best wake characteristics?

SunSport and Saltare are the best for wakeboarding. They are both the same width, Saltare is longer obviously. They both have very high freeboard meaning the bow of the boat and the sides are quite high out of the water. Great for handing rough water or ballast. The Mariah is a very similar boat but it sits much lower in the water and thus is not as preferred. Keep looking!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Yeah, Mikey pretty much nailed it. My mariah sits pretty low, afraid to put ballast in her...wish I had a saltare....

Thanks!
    I have been checking out your thread (with all the pics). Your boat looks like it does an awesome job for you. I think I'll be leaning more towards the Sunsport or Saltair, as the Mariah seems to be more suited to skiing. Idealy I would like to find one with a bad engine. I'm a mechanic and don't mind rebuilding one to save some money. If anyone knows about one like this that would be great.

I've had an '88 Mariah since it was new. I'm and old-school slalom skier but my teenagers are wakeboarders. The Mariah is an excellent open water ski boat but only fair for wakeboarding. I did modify the ski locker to allow a 350 lb. fat sac and that makes a decent wake for wakeboarding. But to get the best shape on the wake we have to shorten the rope to about 50'.

The lower freeboard coupled with the tapered bow makes the Mariah prone to swamping the bow. If you want to wake surf, you cannot get enough of a wake to eliminate the tow rope. Factor the cost of a Perfect Pass system into the price of the boat because without speed control it's very difficult to hold a constant wakeboarding speed.

I am told the Saltare has same hull as Launch Series flagship wakeboard boat up ti 2007. I have noticed my saltare wake is bigger and cleaner than most boats weighted when mine is not. I have plenty of room but not to big to get around. I love it. Put some weight in and time to fly. Just depends if you want a 23.6 foot boat or a 19.6 foot boat. Saltare is 23.6. Hers is a wake pic unweighted, three people in boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like I need to find myself a Saltare. If anyone has one that needs some love for a good price please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by saltare inverts View Post
    I am told the Saltare has same hull as Launch Series flagship wakeboard boat up ti 2007. I have noticed my saltare wake is bigger and cleaner than most boats weighted when mine is not. I have plenty of room but not to big to get around. I love it. Put some weight in and time to fly. Just depends if you want a 23.6 foot boat or a 19.6 foot boat. Saltare is 23.6. Hers is a wake pic unweighted, three people in boat.
    Is that wake being thrown by your 572??? You know like Mikey's????
    90 Conbrio

Mapleleaf, only a baby 454. Some day, some day.

another saltare owner here. this is the first boat i've bought, parents had boats when i was young. i'm keeping it, for good. i agree with what these guys have said about them. the saltare is more plush and roomy, room to spread out. no playing footsie or knocking knees. room for a dozen or more when you want to. it also guzzles gas but with the right prop you can pull stumps. the wake is nice stock but needs lots of weight to really kick it up.

that said, i have a friend with a sunsport that i've spent alot of time in...an 89. i really like the layout. the wake is good and gets great with weight....less weight than the saltare needs to achieve comparable wakes. the boat is all around more manageable....you can reach the tip of the bow without having to take a few steps, easier to trailer, quicker, handles tighter, takes up less space for garages, less hull to wax/buff, and more fuel efficient with 351.

you can't go wrong with either. one's just bigger than the other, all over.

i've never been in a mariah.