Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Are the quick disconnects really necessary for the bags I will be leaving in place? Or can I just not pay for those, buy these, screw them into the bags and connect the hose?

http://www.wakemakers.com/1-2-to-3-4...b-adapter.html
    Anybody have an opinion on this? ^^^

I meant to provide the link to the item with 1" thread and 3/4" barb

So coming back to my point...6 t1200's on 1 inch line will be substantially faster and more than likely cheaper than three reversibles...or am i missing something?

Whoa, I guess this is what happens when I don't get a chance to check replies all weekend!

Also Jason, the reason I have two separate systems set up for both bow bags is because I want to be able to remove one and keep the other. I don't do a lot of surfing, but when I do I would like to be able to remove that front right bag, set it beside the engine on the port side and fill it up. I was planning on having a valve that I can manually turn off and on on that front right bag so that I can fill just the left and not the right. Then, I was going to have a T-Joint before the stern sac with another manual valve after it so I can close the valve and connect the second hose of the T-Joint to the bag lying on the floor and fill it up. (I would just have that second hose lying beside or on top of the stern sac when not in use).

Does this make sense? Do you think that system will work? I'm just trying to avoid buying a fourth sac and a $100 Tsunami pump to manually fill a sac for surfing.
    OK, this is good information to have, because it definitely impacts the layout of your system.

There are a couple of reasons why I would recommend against setting up a system like that:

- With your bow bag in the bag you won't have a way to drain it. You could fill it off of the pump for the rear bag, but without a dedicated pump back there, and with aerator pumps, the water will be stuck in the bag.

- A much more functional system would be to use a bag on each side of the engine compartment and a bag up in the bow. For wakeboarding fill them all up so you have even weight from side-to-side and front-to-back. For surfing fill just the bag on the surf side in the back and the forward bag. That's a much better system, and how we recommend setting things up on direct drive boats.

All of that said, if I leave everything the way it is right now, are the check valves even necessary on the drain lines?
    The way you have things drawn now, yes they are necessary to prevent drain water from flowing back down into the vent connection. Like I said, you could combine the drain connections together with each other and the vent connections together with each other instead of combining the vent and drain from each bag, and that would allow you to eliminate the check valve.

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    I didn't read everything , just looked at the diagram and see no reason to have the check valves on the drain lines at all.If anything you want them on your vent lines and even then , with the y connector they probably are not doing much as you are going to eventually drain the bag anyways.
    Thanks for catching that! Check valves definitely need to be on the vent line. Some people will use them on both lines to help ensure as much water is removed from the bag as possible when using an aerator pump, but that's definitely not necessary.

You may want to route your rear vent line forward to prevent siphoning during a surf session or you could just put a cork in the thru hull on the surf sides to prevent this.
    I'm assuming the diagram isn't drawn to scale, so I haven't addressed things like this, but you're absolutely correct, install thru-hulls as far forward as possible.

You also only need 1/2" vent lines, but then you need a 1/2 / 3/4 y which may be hard to find or you could just go all 1/2 vent discharge as time is not usually a matter when draining. Just an opinion .......
    I would strongly caution anyone against using 1/2" lines (for any aspect of their ballast system). The vent and drain lines need to have at least the same flow rate as the fill line, otherwise they won't serve any purpose. Couple that with the fact that essentially no 1/2" hardware exists (bag connections, thru-hull connections, check valves, etc.) and it's just not worth any potential savings in terms of cost.

Most importantly, this can result in significant damage to the bag or the boat due to overfilling. AGAIN, please do not use 1/2" lines for your ballast system, we've had numerous customers that have caused extensive fiberglass and gelcoat damage by trying to do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    can someone explain why people use $200 reversible pumps that have half the flow rate of a $50 pump?
    http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=14074

here is an actual comparison that was done of various systems, I have the jabsco and verified my results on you tube as were some of the other mods......not promoting mine as it is my oem but will give you more info for your app. jesse has an awesome upgrade and what I would consider if mine was not comparable....I have an aux sub pum that I want install on my port side and see if it decreases fill times more but I have not had time to do this as I'm all ready getting the lowest fill times I have seen.
    Careful using a sump pump in your boat, it's not ignition protected, which could have serious ramifications.

docdrs, I'm going with all 3/4 because I do a lot of slaloming as well and I would like to be able to drain quickly also. I believe 3/4 is the standard size to fit on the pumps and most fittings anyway.

Thanks for the advice on taking the check valves out of the equation on the drain lines, anyone else have an opinion on this?
    Yep, definitely stick with 3/4" lines. docdrs is spot on regarding the check valves (see my response above).

Are the quick disconnects really necessary for the bags I will be leaving in place? Or can I just not pay for those, buy these, screw them into the bags and connect the hose?
    There are two advantages to using the Flow-Rite system:

1. It allows the bags to be removed easily. You're talking about wanting to be able to move your bags around the boat, and if you end up going that route you'll almost certainly need a way to disconnect the lines easily.

2. Using just a standard threaded connector (like you mentioned) will result in the hose extending straight off the top of the bag, which can be a huge packaging problem if you're installing the bag somewhere with limited clearance. Even with our premium hose you'll have problems with the hose kinking in that scenario. With the quick connects you can have the hose extend parallel to the surface of the bag, which means you need a minimum amount of clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Good point, not trying to steer him in the wrong direction. I did mention he should give you guys a call to discuss the system.
    No problem, I knew that's what you meant, I just wanted to clarify for anyone else reading this thread in the future so they don't make a mistake setting up their system, and then end up cursing you and I for not knowing what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Jason,

What causes brass to corrode in a boat? I am not saying you are incorrect, just wanted to find out how this occurs? They sell "brass thru hull" fittings for boats. I had my manifold for two years in my Supra and never had any problems.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/eval-...86-217151.html
    Galvanic corrosion is responsible for deterioration in almost every case, and it occurs to all materials (although cathodic materials are much more stable). It typically only a major problem in salt or brackish water environments, but we've had customers that have had parts completely disintegrate in less than two seasons in fresh water. For more information checkout our blog post here: http://media.wakemakers.com/2010/01/...-is-important/

The primary reason there's confusion here is because brass and bronze look virtually identical, so most people use the two interchangeably when describing materials. It's that misunderstanding that propagates the problem, and is evidenced by the fact that the site you linked to is selling a bronze thru-hull, but they're calling it brass.

Not sure what a 800 tsunami can do but I bet thru a 3/4" line its more like 30 percent slower.
    Jabsco's are essentially identical to an 800GPH Tsunami pump in terms of real world speed.

Fman......... I'm curious to know ....did they use 1 inch fittings and lines and when ya get your new ride how fast those pumps fill......bet your getting itchy to get it on the water, great ya still visit us here.
    Malibu uses 3/4" connections in their ballast systems. For an 800GPH pump there's no reason to use a larger diameter, as pump will be the limiting factor (unless you had 50' of hose between the pump and the tank/bag or something).
    WakeMAKERS.com | WakePROPS.com

Looks like my post was too long, so here's the rest of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    So coming back to my point...6 t1200's on 1 inch line will be substantially faster and more than likely cheaper than three reversibles...or am i missing something?
    Correct, aerator pumps will always be faster and cheaper than flexible vane impeller pumps, but those aren't always the two most important variables.

For example, on direct drive boats, where bags are out typically in the open, using aerator pumps means that you'll have a drain pump sitting in the middle of the boat that's prime for stubbed toes. You'll also have an extra connection to the bag, which means one more visible hose. So for that scenario, a lot of our customers will use flexible vane impeller pumps (like the Jabsco or Johnson) because the pump can be mounted remotely, and there are just two connections to make to the bag.

That's just one scenario where a flexible vane impeller pump may make more sense, even though it will be more expensive and slower than an available aerator pump.

Ultimately both pumps can be setup to work well, be reliable, and more than fast enough for most application, it just comes down to the individual situation, and making sure whoever is designing the system knows what they're doing.

Jason, thanks for taking the time to respond to all of this, it's been a big help.

I'm laughing at myself for forgetting about draining that bag after I move it. So, I think I'm going to just keep one of the current Launch Pad's I have and use that when I want to surf.

When you guys say drill the thru-hull drains as far forward as possible, I understand what you mean, however I'm nervous about my bow bags. The picture is actually pretty accurate to what I was planning, I want the drain holes to be just a few inches away from the bilge pump hole so that everything looks clean and uniform. However, now I'm worried that because the bags will be farther forward than their holes, the water will siphon out. Should I be worried and how can I stop this?

Also, the SOLE reason I'm doing this project is so that I don't have to step over my bags inside the boat. I was very happy with the bags I was running last season as far as wake goes, however I really REALLY don't want the clutter inside my boat.

ANDDDD my last current question... could you provide links for what you're recommending for the PVC "manifold" in the bottom of the hull? AND I'm worried about the bags filling when I don't want them to - I don't want to grind off my scupper and I don't want to have to get inside my engine compartment to flip a ball valve everytime I fill the system.

Thanks so much for the help!

Jason, thanks for taking the time to respond to all of this, it's been a big help.
    No problem, happy to help out.

I'm laughing at myself for forgetting about draining that bag after I move it. So, I think I'm going to just keep one of the current Launch Pad's I have and use that when I want to surf.
    It happens, don't worry.

When you guys say drill the thru-hull drains as far forward as possible, I understand what you mean, however I'm nervous about my bow bags. The picture is actually pretty accurate to what I was planning, I want the drain holes to be just a few inches away from the bilge pump hole so that everything looks clean and uniform. However, now I'm worried that because the bags will be farther forward than their holes, the water will siphon out. Should I be worried and how can I stop this?
    Putting the holes forward in the boat was only in relation to the rear bags, because that will elevate the drain fitting location relatively to the top of the bag. Based on the bag sizes you're using, and where they'll be installed I don't think you would have a problem with this anyway because it's really only a problem on v-drive boats where the rear bags come all the way up to the top of the locker.

Regardless, for your bow bags placing the thru-hulls further back on the boat (roughly under the windshield) will be just fine.

Also, the SOLE reason I'm doing this project is so that I don't have to step over my bags inside the boat. I was very happy with the bags I was running last season as far as wake goes, however I really REALLY don't want the clutter inside my boat.
    Gotcha, and if you're been using that weight setup and know what to expect in terms of the wake then you're good.

ANDDDD my last current question... could you provide links for what you're recommending for the PVC "manifold" in the bottom of the hull?
    Sorry, I forgot this early. With just two fill pumps you'll only need a Tee, and since you're using 800s, 3/4" is fine. So in that case you would just need to use our 3/4" Intake Nipple to connect a 3/4" Intake Tee to the ball valve. From there you can thread the 800s directly into the tee.

AND I'm worried about the bags filling when I don't want them to - I don't want to grind off my scupper and I don't want to have to get inside my engine compartment to flip a ball valve everytime I fill the system.
    You don't already have a thru-hull that you've installed do you? As long as you don't just use a 3/4" Bronze Mushroom Thru-hull, that along with the check valves will ensure you don't have any issues with the water level in the bags changing when you don't want it to.

The ball valve is only there for emergencies, you do not need to access it in regular use.

Thanks for the info! I just saw that hose went on sale so I purchased hose and pumps tonight. I'm going to keep buying the supplies incrementally as I get some dough. Gettin' pretty excited!

For good reason, you'll have a great system when you're done with the install, and you'll love having it automated.

Jason, I finally finished this project. Everything works great except for one problem. My rear bag is filling when I don't want it to when underway. I understand why this happens and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do other than installing the vented loop?