Thread: Rudder Question

Default Rudder Question

So while doing my restore, the wood the rudder was mounted to was junk. I tore it all out and replaced it. Now my question is how far below the boat is the housing supposed to stick down?

right now it looks flush with the bottom of the boat. There is still another plate that goes on the bottom. Is it supposed to be flush with the hull or that plate?

Also, do I 5200 the crap out of the housing when I put it in and to that plate?

THanks!
    86 Saltare

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are saying in my mind. When I replaced mine last year There was just one flange that screws directly to the bottom of the boat into a recessed area just for that so that overall it is nearly flush with the rest of the hull. What is the other plate that you are referring to?
    1991 SunSport

Quote Originally Posted by inair View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing what you are saying in my mind. When I replaced mine last year There was just one flange that screws directly to the bottom of the boat into a recessed area just for that so that overall it is nearly flush with the rest of the hull. What is the other plate that you are referring to?
    The actual wood and fiberglass in the hull of the boat that sits between the stingers. Wood plate that is fiberglassed into the hull.

Here is a pic of the rotten wood plate:
    86 Saltare