Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 05 21v serious problem

I recently purchased a 2005 launch 21v. I noticed after a little use that a crack has formed on the inside of the front ski locker. for those of you that aren't' familiar with the 21v there is some space between the bottom of the hull and the bottom of the ski locker, my problem lies in that space. The front of the boat is full of water from the crack in the ski locker, not a crack on the outside, my question for those of you who might know or have had a similar problem is how or what is the best way to get the water out?

the dealer said they need to remove the gas tank, take out the floor and drain the water, between $1500-$1800 for the fix and he said it would take quite some time. He also said it would be ok to drive, it would just be like extra ballast in the front. A second question is, how can that be ok for the boat? it seems like it could cause some problems?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Some pics would help. Is it possible to get a wet vac hose in there and vacuum the water out?

you'll have to cut a bigger opening and suction the water out. a vacuum extractor like the oil pumps would work too. you'll probably have to jack the boat up/down to get the water to move to you.

since there's no wood down there, the water isn't going to do much except add to your ballast. i wouldn't want my gas tank sitting in water though.

it's hard to say without knowing where everything under the floor is.

another thought is to open an access port somewhere hidden, under a seat. put a cover over the opening and drain the hull over a period of time....fixing the leak first of course. cover it with something like this...

The hidden hatch is a good idea. It's odd because the water is completely contained in the bow. There is no physical way for it to drain anywhere else in the boat. Its good to know they are all composite and will not rot or deteriorate.

Pics would help because I'm confused. I actually have removed my fuel tank ( I'm replacing the skegs) from my 05' 21V over the weekend and I'm not seeing what you're describing.
    The front ski locker(the area under the walk through) has a 1/2 inch hole that allows any collected water in the locker to flow to the back of the boat via flowing under the fuel tank/over the skeg backing plates and under the engine to be bilge pumped out. What I have notice on my 21v is that by design the area under the locker is the lowest point of the entire bilge and will only flow when the bow is raised...alot.
    To make my long story short have you check the hole between the locker and the Bilge for an obstruction?

yeah, the problem is that all of the water is under the locker. it is full to the point I can push down on the floor of the locker and hear the water splash around. Unfortunately with pics it would look like a normal ski locker because the water is all underneath. I think the best route is to cut a hole in the ski locker floor close to the drain hole so we have access to the lowest point on the boat. From there we can install a bilge or just drain with a fat sac pump at our leisure. This seems to be a large oversight in my opinion, I know boats like malibu and mb sports actually put a bilge up front right in the lowest point of the boat for problems just like this, because no wake boat is completely water tight if you take water in the front or a large rain storm. It seems like a front bilge should be included in any $50,000 wakeboard boat with this low point under the ski locker. Dumb decision on supra's part.

Hey Kip... Just Pull the plug, launch it into Willard, and Drive away. "Dang it"
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV

Sounds like opening up under the ski locker is a good idea. If the new Supra's are the same as the old one's the lowest point is up near the front. They may not have put a bilge pump up there to to a lack of access. If you can't get all the water out with the method you're planning, see if there is a way to get the front end up as high as possible, like park on an incline and jack it up.

I'd be interested to see if you can fit a bilge pump up there. If you cut the hole and put and access plate in, you could service a bilge if you are able to fit one there.

Default 05 21V Same Problems

So this is an old thread but I hoped to get more info on this situation.
    I have the same boat with the same problem - water between the hull layers.

I can't find where the water is getting in. The guys in Dallas said it was the balast intake flange that wasn't sealed properly from the factory allowing water to seap inbetween the hull layers. They claimed to have fixed it for free since it was factory defect. They went for test ride to align steering wheel
    for the new steering cable they installed. When I got the boat home there was water under the floor of the ski locker again.

Has anyone had success dealing with a similar problem??
    Last edited by Louisiana21v; 04-25-2011 at 08:55 PM.

this really might be to obvious of an idea but why not just drill a small hole in said compartment. not all the way through the bottom mind out but what could it hurt