Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What boat is this?

Hey guys I need a little help! I am going to look at this boat and was wondering if ya'll could give me some info about it? It has a big block in it,also they say it is all fiberglass is that true? Will this make a good wakeboard wake? How about surf wake? I will buy however much ballast is needed if the boat has the potential! Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it is a Saltare. That the biggest of the boats from that era. It throws a great wake and would serve you well. The interior very spacious too.

Careful with that trailer.... The Saltare is a big boat and needs a beefy trailer. That one looks too short!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Ditto on that trailer... I would lower the the bow about 12" to 14" on the trailer to making loading easier and make it not look so stupid.
    85 Supra Sunsport
    Doing complete Trailer up Resto.
    51% Complete

So I went and looked at this boat! It definitly needs some work,but seems to have potential. The trailer goes all the way to the back of the boat but does need the front lowered. It is a Saltare,it also says something about kevlar on the hull. Does this boat have wood or is it all fiberglass? Also it has small crack on the transom where the swim deck bolts on,since there is no outdrive attached,it shouldn't have much stress correct?

this definatly has a wood floor and wood stringers. Look at the motor mounts, check for loose lag bolts. If the bolts are loose and will not tighten, potential for rotten stringers. check for mold under the aft seat. check all these areas, you might be able to lower the price. Allan

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    So I went and looked at this boat! It definitly needs some work,but seems to have potential. The trailer goes all the way to the back of the boat but does need the front lowered. It is a Saltare,it also says something about kevlar on the hull. Does this boat have wood or is it all fiberglass? Also it has small crack on the transom where the swim deck bolts on,since there is no outdrive attached,it shouldn't have much stress correct?
    People on top of the swim deck will cause stress to the transom... I think the factory thickness is only about 1/2" and that is only behind the areas that the bolts go... Water will seep in through the bolts and rot that wood and cause more issue to be repaired...

When I had mine apart I install 3/4" Ply across the entire transom so I know it is going to distribute the weight better... I also got rid of those Tee nuts that will rip out and spin >> I drilled and tapped 1/4" Plate steel >> Painted it and PL'ed it to the transom for the bolts to attach to. Holds VERY nice and looks slick!

Looks like a nice boat... Let us know if you get it!
    85 Supra Sunsport
    Doing complete Trailer up Resto.
    51% Complete

Kevlar in the hull means that when they made the hull of the boat they laid Kevlar (like a bulletproof vest) in along with the fiberglass. This means the hull is both stronger and lighter than some other brands of hull. There is no wood in the hull of ANY of these boats.

The wood is INSIDE the hull. Like a house has wooden beams in the attic to hold the roof, the boat has a wooden framework that is then covered in gooey fiberglass resin and allowed to dry. There are some places where wooden beams intersect where there are gaps in the fiberglass resin, which would otherwise make the wood protected from water. In these gaps, water can rot the stringers from the inside out.

Now there is a 'bilge valley' in the middle of the boat, which means most water goes where it is suppossed to, in the bilge and out the boat again. But if water gets to some certain parts of the sub-flooring of the boat, it can get trapped there, and cause the stringer rot problem described above.

If your prospective boat is 1991 or older you have wooden stringers as well as the floor. You need to check very carefully for soft spots. Walk around barefoot and feel with your toes, and also bring a small screwdriver to tap the floor. MAke sure the motor mount bolts are solid by bringing a socket set. Be sure you lift up the rear bench seat (phillips and flathead screwdriver needed) and check the floor in the far rear of boat too.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Oh and if the transom is cracked at the platform that needs to be repaired before it goes in the water! Otherwise you could be letting water into the hull, possibly outside the bilge valley. Also if fiberglass is cracked or pulled away from the stringer, that leaves it no protection from water damage.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

^That's a goodlooking Saltare, probably needs a buch of work!!!!!!
    I can't get over the trailer, was it made it for a crab boat?????
    Have yet to see that color combo on anything other than a Sunsport, very cool!
    90 Conbrio