Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Lots of Play in 03 Sunsport Swim Platform

I am very new to the website. I've had a 03 Sunsport for 4 years.

Love the boat, but I've always had one little annoying problem...the swim platform has a lot of play. The only time it bothers me is when we are just hanging out and a wave comes along and Ca-chunk, Ca-chunk, as the swim platform moves up and down, you can feel the banging all though the boat.

Looking at the connections under the platform, it attually looks like this is how it's designed...but, does anyone have the same problem or a solution?

Thanks!

Same problem with my 05 22 SSV. When I anchor in a cove or something I try to point the nose into the oncoming wake using two anchors to minimize the problem. Just make sure all your mounting srews are tight so you don't end up like that poor guy in the Neatherlands.

Exact same issue, its one of my winter projects this year.

Would also like to hear suggestions.

I belive play is designed in as to accomadate a large area with a lot of force on it.....if it was ridgid it might yank your screws out....lots of play/thats wierd....some play = engineering.
    RED WINE ROCKER~2005 SUPRA LAUNCH 21 (PHOTO BOAT!)
    LAKE LANIER/LAKE BURTON/LAKE BLUE RIDGE

http://www.myspace.com/atlantawhiskeydawgs
    ...my band this year.

Thanks to all who responded. KY Steve, when you say it's one of your winter projects...are you going to try something to fix the problem?

I agree that this is the way is designed....just got pulled behind my nieghbors x-10...platform was a little higher on the back of the boat but had absolutely no play at all which was sweet.

Yeah, the play is about an inch or 2, up and down at the far edge of the platform...but it's enough to annoy the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to read/relax.

I read on a thread here, talking about older Supra's with noisey platform's that a guy had taken an old margerine container and cut plastic shim/washer's that were the width of the bracket and put them at the bottom in the transom cleat to make a barrier between the bracket on the transom and the bracket on the platform and his rattles were gone......
    I bored (very little)out the eyelets on mine and replaced the quick release pins with stainless bolts, I still get a little noise, but nothing like the ca chunk I remember when I bought the boat......I just have to have a wrench when taking off the swimplatform....almost never! And I know it won't fall off!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. KY Steve, when you say it's one of your winter projects...are you going to try something to fix the problem?

Yeah, the play is about an inch or 2, up and down at the far edge of the platform...but it's enough to annoy the bejesus out of me when I'm trying to read/relax.
    I see where red wine is going but I have less than an inch of play on the far edge of my platform and that is no where near the amount needed to dissipate any energy on the transom. Its just enough to "annoy the bejesus" out of you when the boat is stopped, especially if there is any ballast and the platform is under water.

I plan to secure the platform to the transom brackets either with bolts, welding or using shims. I never remove it so the quick release is not needed. Its on my long list of mods' this winter.

Good stuff. I hadn't thought of the shim or stainless steel bolt ideas. Maybe I will use a combination, But I'll have to get it off the shorestation to have a good look at it. I actually have to take the swim platform off every fall to fit it my garage for winter.

But just so I understand correctly, no one sees a problem taking the play out of the platform and the cleat? I guess if you think about it, the constant banging up and down on the cleat/transom would probably be much worse on the transom and cleat connections than if it was solid. Again, any mastercraft or malibu I've boarded behind does not have any play in the platform.

So, this is really starting to look like an engineering flaw and the play is not designed to be there. I am very surprised Supra hasn't fixed this problem over the years...sounds like even the newer boats have the same issues.

Engineered in play with the forces of water pushing up and down on the platforms mounting? I would say that’s a bad idea if that was the case. Over time a joint like that could add excessive wear to the connection points. I would look at adding a rubber grommet or some stiff rubber gasketing material to absorb some of that play to dampen the effects of the loose tolerances on the mounting areas. Are there some pictures we can look at here at the problem connections?

My 08 does the same thing ... just another view that this is still happening.

It's funny, because when I am removing or putting the platform on/off (I don't do
    this often) - I don't feel the play - it seems snug - but out in the water, when
    rollers hit - you sure can hear it banging around.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.