Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by techsledder View Post
    Digging up this old thread...

Re-builders: On the direct drive older boats (80's & 90's) how are you fastening the engine cover riser down to the main deck of the boat. My 1990 SS, I rebuilt the riser last year and the old original way for fastening the thing down to the deck was four large (like #12 or #14) 3" wood screws through the side gusset on the riser into the carpeted deck. I don't like that and it makes it difficult to refasten in the same spot every time you take the whole thing off for maintenance and put it back afterward.

Does any one have a better fastening system?
    I hate to admit it, but I L bracketed it to the stringers.....Still living with the guilt of adding screw holes to my stringers.......
    90 Conbrio

I just made locating blocks and screwed them to the floor. The cover fits snugly to the outside of the blocks. I dont screw the cover down at all it cant move side to side and I never seen it move up. This way its easy to get off and on.

I made L brackets out of aluminum. The aluminum is 2 inches wide and is L shaped. I polished them to a mirror finish then drilled holes. Stainless steel screws to floor and too inside of motor cover base. Easy to unscrew and pull out.

Thanks guys, your ideas help out!

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    Looks awsome, your engine is extra clean also. Did you seal the cedar? Al
    Thanks but it's regrettably not my boat. I saw that picture from Rludtke on here.

The cedar riser I made I haven't sealed. I never plan on putting the boat away wet, so it's not going to be an issue.

I just did mine and just posted pics on my rebuild thread. I used a white pine and coated it in CPES when I was done. I built it using a finish nailer, clamps and wood glue. I painted most of it except where the main side is that will be covered in carpet. I modified it in the back so I can do chromed hinges on the outside. I'm still debating on how I'm going to keep it in place.

Michael,

You have any pictures of the way you did it with the locating blocks?

I like to see the locating block idea as well.

So Mike, any pictures you could share??!!