Hybrid View

Default Ear plugs while wakeboarding?

My son crashed and got water in his ear and it was very painful for him, and now he is a little shy about getting after it. Does anyone use earplugs to prevent water getting into the ear while crashing?

Quote Originally Posted by mathp View Post
    My son crashed and got water in his ear and it was very painful for him, and now he is a little shy about getting after it. Does anyone use earplugs to prevent water getting into the ear while crashing?
    I just ordered my Hyperlite helmet today with ear pads to help prevent this from happening. I got thrown down about 22 MPH last week and it rang my bell, I am actually surprised I did not get a concussion. Guess I will be known as the Helmet guy, but at 37 years old I need to keep going to work.

I am planning on my kids wearing a helmet from this point on, not only for the ear protection but preventing concussions and contact with the board.

www.boardco.com has the Hyperlites for $59, they are really comfortable and nice helmets.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

We aren't much into wakeboarding around here, but my wife is a competitive hydrofoiler.

She ALWAYS wears a helmet - mostly for ear protection.

She uses Pro-Tec, but I hear good things about the www.shredready.com helmets
    too.

Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

When I started wakeboarding I caught the front edge real bad and everyone in the boat was saying, "do that again, you're doing awesome"...I did it again alright...another whiplash faceplant...I remember getting in the boat and the next thing I remember I was in my kitchen. This was on a simple wake to wake jump.

I'm 43 now and honestly I still only wear a helmet if I'm trying something new.

I've also heard of water skiers blowing eardrums by hitting the water just right. So yeah, probably the responsible thing to do.
    02 Sunsport 22V-Roswell Tower

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    We aren't much into wakeboarding around here, but my wife is a competitive hydrofoiler.

She ALWAYS wears a helmet - mostly for ear protection.

She uses Pro-Tec, but I hear good things about the www.shredready.com helmets
    too.

Todd
    Is the hydro foiler the "air chair", a buddy from work brought his on the boat the other day and it was a kick to watch him. That is one crazy contraption, I am just glad he did not drop it on my boat when he threw it in the water that is not a light unit!
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Yes, Air Chair is a brand, so is Sky Ski - which is what is most popular these days.

Here is my wife at Lake Powell on hers: (this is a grandma!)

2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

My son has ruptured his ear drum several times wake boarding. The only times he wore a helmet was during The Collegiate Slider Slam Tournament where they were required to wear helmets...I guess they thought jumping onto fixed rails while wake boarding presented a slight danger. HA! The other was when he was first learning to do flips. Not enough rotation usually equates to water being forced into the ear canal at a high reate of speed.

His helmet also had ear flaps on it that did protect the ear. A good thing.

If your son is hesitant about getting back out there buy him a good wake board DVD. That should get the blood pumping again!

Scott

tg0824SSVGG...great pic! That's crazy!!!
    2006 Supra Launch 21V