Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ye old depth sounder

Does anyone here have info on these old 90’s Lowrance Depth sounders, model 3200, and the transducer? The menace to society, the raccoon, appears to have chewed through in one spot the plastic casing on the cable, but not all the way through it, just into the shielding. The display flashes zero all the time and nothing else happens. Does anyone with these old boats have this unit and do you have a manual / trouble-shooting guide? May I just cut out the bad section of the cable and solder the wires back together in the cable? Can I just get a new transducer & cable? How do I remove the sender from its epoxied spot right underneath the engine/tranny if its garbage? Or do I cut my losses here cut the cable leave the sender and mount a new one ahead of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

best bet is to see if you can unplug the cable from the back of the unit. i've never tried to splice one of those cables but the instructions usually say you cannot. hopefully you don't need to buy an entire new unit.

yes, i'd just leave the old transducer in place and mount the new one near it. clip the old cable off.

If it is a coxial cable, you can get a splicing adapter at Radio Shack for about $3.00

I have that same unit! Go figure. It's really not all that great imo. At shallow depths it tends to flash and not give a solid reading. The beep is freaking loud too! How do I turn off the beep?

I do have a manual for mine. I will take a look this weekend. Maybe they have a website or online manual or a phone number to call them I bet they could send you a new cord for free if they are still around.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Default Unit is dead....

The old school depth finder that is now rendered useless. I would like to replace it with an in dash unit where the old analog clock is currently. I am thinking of this unit, the Uniden QT206. Has anyone else used this for their vintage Supra? Performance reports if so?

Also the current unit’s transducer is an in-hull model (not a thru-hull) and I would like to do the same for the new model. Has anyone tried to remove the old transducer from the bilge area? Mine is epoxied into place right underneath the engine/tranny. I may just cut the cable and just leave it there and epoxy the new one ahead of it…

Not sure about the Uniden. I have the Humminbird and it seems to work fine. You could try an air chisel and see if you can pop the old one loose. Otherwise, just cut the cable and leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Not sure about the Uniden. I have the Humminbird and it seems to work fine. You could try an air chisel and see if you can pop the old one loose. Otherwise, just cut the cable and leave it there.
    Okie, what's the shallowest depth that unit goes for you?

I'm about to get the Hawkeye in-dash depth sounder, 2.5' to 200' I believe its $65.00 has shallow and deep alarms backlit lcd and comes with a white and black bezel. Thru hull or transom mount transponder.

Quote Originally Posted by techsledder View Post
    Okie, what's the shallowest depth that unit goes for you?
    You mean as far as the alarm or what it displays? I've seen it show 2.0' before.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    You mean as far as the alarm or what it displays? I've seen it show 2.0' before.
    Yep, it's displayed depth. Thanks for your response.