Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Warranty repair? how long was your boat down?

I was just curious about people here who have had warranty repair done on there boat. I took mine in last Wednesday for a cracked rudder, and they are still exchanging pictures and have had no confirmation if SC is going to repair it. The dealer looked at it and said its obvious nothing hit the rudder, must have been a defective rudder in production. The dealer said it is taking about 2-3 weeks to get anything repaired with warranty work. Apparantly SC is working on a skeleton crew.

Anyone else had a better experience? I am picking my boat back up Tuesday and using it with the cracked rudder, there is a lot of skiing time left here in Nor cal and dont want to loose out. Its a hairline crack that does not seem to be spreading. Weather here is 90+ degrees still. I am little disappointed in how long it is taking just to get a "yes" we will repair it. They still have to order the parts which will probably take a week to arrive once they get an approval from SC. The dealer is anticipating they will repair it, but he said it is taking a lot of time to get the approvals done.

I would think warranty items would be a priority, especially to get people back in the water. Starting to get a little disappointed.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

[/cue negative comments from jonyb]

I would have the dealer replace the rudder even if you have to pay up front and get the boat back on the water and let the dealer get the warranty reimbursement.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I would have the dealer replace the rudder even if you have to pay up front and get the boat back on the water and let the dealer get the warranty reimbursement.
    I am picking the boat up tomorrow and am going to use the boat with the crack in the rudder. I did use the boat last week before bringing it in and the crack seems to not be spreading. Definitely not making any crazy hard turns, hopefully they can get an answer from SC this week and get the part ordered.

I am a little reluctant about putting money upfront and getting reimbursed, given the condition the boat industry is in right now. The dealer has nothing but good things to say about SC and is confident they will do the right thing and replace it.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Now you have to make 2 trips to the dealer. What I am saying is the rudder has to be replaced anyway. If it is a defect as it sounds you have nothing to worry about. At this time in the year the down time is more costly than fronting a few hundred bucks.

Looks like SC is dancing around the warranty that they gave you....

That's all the comment I have, sorry to let you guys down.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
    Looks like SC is dancing around the warranty that they gave you....

That's all the comment I have, sorry to let you guys down.
    We will see what happens, dealership seems to be confident they will replace it. He said it is moving in the right direction, or at least, I can only hope. Its 6 hours labor and the cost of the rudder, thats easily $1000+ repair.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

What is actually cracked that it's 6 hours of labor? Seems to me they could pull the entire engine - rebuild half of it and put it back in 6 hours. (or that's just what they get to bill
    SC for the labor for that?)
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

I paid for 3 hours labor on points and a distributor cap...they're luxury items, even all beat up and old!!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    What is actually cracked that it's 6 hours of labor? Seems to me they could pull the entire engine - rebuild half of it and put it back in 6 hours. (or that's just what they get to bill
    SC for the labor for that?)
    Todd,

According to the dealer, the repair will take 6 hours of labor that they will bill SC for. I am not sure what is required to replace the rudder. He did say it was not an easy job because of the limited access under the motor area. I would think they would have a book similiar to auto mechanics on each job and rated hours needed to complete the job.

I am going on one week today and still no phone calls from the dealer saying the repair has been authorized or parts have been ordered. The good news is I took the boat out today, the water was incredible, we were the only boat on the entire lake! and the rudder did fine. No spreading of the crack. Had to put my spring suite on, but water temp was still 77 degrees at 7:15 am this morning. It was beautiful on the water this morning, I should have taken some pictures. Complete peace and quiet, you could hear the board cutting through the glass..... I needed that, this is the reason we own these machines.
    Last edited by Fman; 09-16-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV