Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Time to pull the boat

Going up to pull the boat out this weekend and begin the rebuild so that it is ready for next year. Seems like it took me most of the summer to get it a point where she was running well and reliable. Thought maybe I would get use out of her this weekend...but looks like a high of 56 and rain in Upstate Ny. So looks like it will be a quick trip the ramp and thats it.

I will keep you updated with new pics of rebuild process. Took me most of the summer to make the decision to keep the boat and rebuild her. But I am excited about starting the process and look forward to next spring when I hope she is ready to go into the water.

I hope everybody had a good summer. It is over here in Western Pa/Western NY. Seems like it goes way to fast. Maybe I need to move to AZ.

Hope all is well with everybody.

I promise to post pics of my projects and progress. Wish me luck.
    1984 Supra Rider

Yeah, I have been debating on winterizing early this year myself. Work is very busy(thats good and bad) and it's getting cooler. Went ouut last weekend for a couple of hours and drained the block when we got it back on the trailer... so I'm sort of ready to go either way. As I was pulliing the left side block drain I noticed some yellowish fluid on the block at the rear, so I discovered that my valve cover is leaking oil! Looks like there is no easy way to fix it... the exhaust manifold has got to come off! So I guess I will start to soak the bolts with penetrant hoping they dont break! Good luck on your project and I am sure it will be fun... or at least a learning experience!!

BnT I'm in the same boat with the valve covers.....not to excited about getting those manifolds off, let us know how it goes and what worked...

Chautaque's I spent the weekend outside Warren, Pa. Talk about scenic. We were about a mile from the Alleghany Resevoir, but weather wasn't suitable for the boat, will definitely be back next year, friends have a cabin beside the Red Oaks Campground, pretty awesome dirt bike trails!!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Default tis the season,

I don't like this time of the year either !! Just got my wakeskate board in and board racks ain the mail and I had to yank it from the lake!!

First time winterizing a inboard! any lil tricks? or secrets to preventing issues? I always had i/o's
    Last edited by dshaff24; 10-01-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Along with all the freeze plug removal, this year I'm pulling the impellor and housing and keeping them inside all toasty. I think this was a tip from Micheal Hunter......
    90 Conbrio

Maple
    Why are you removing the freeze plugs?

Last year was our first winterizing an inboard. It was pretty dang simple, but took about an hour. I have heard about quick drain kits but I dont know much about them...?

Oh and I am getting a strange, loud noise while accelerating. My dad thinks it could be something loose inside the valve cover so we will be looking there too, eventually. Whoever tackles that first, please start a thread with pics!
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Default No way!!

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    BnT I'm in the same boat with the valve covers.....not to excited about getting those manifolds off, let us know how it goes and what worked...

Chautaque's I spent the weekend outside Warren, Pa. Talk about scenic. We were about a mile from the Alleghany Resevoir, but weather wasn't suitable for the boat, will definitely be back next year, friends have a cabin beside the Red Oaks Campground, pretty awesome dirt bike trails!!!!!!
    Maple

No way...such a small world. I live in Pittsburgh but grew up in Warren Pa...about 10 minutes from the Kinzua Dam/Allegheny Resevoir. It is beautiful there..and if you get the chance to bring you boat down next year you will find that the resevoir is a fantastic place to ski and wakeboard. It is extremely calm and like glass most of the time. Chautauqua is rarely glassy unless you get up early. Heck...if you get back their next year let me know. I will bring my boat down and we can have a mini Supra Reunion. Still have a lot of friends in Warren that have houseboats and pontoon boats. You can rent houseboats there too.

I havent been there in a long time...but it is an awesome place for camping, boating, atvs and hunting. I will be up that way soon for deer season.

Glad you got to see my part of the world.

Funny whenever I say I am from Warren...the usual response is...oh yeah I/my buddy has a hunting camp there.

Dan
    1984 Supra Rider

Micheal, think I have the terminology wrong, I was referring to the plugs at the back of the manifold's.......
    Last year we removed all the drain plugs from the motor and that was it, this I think the impellor comes out, as well I'll be keeping the boat in Toronto, so there'll some other engine work, valve cover gaskets, fix a cracked manifold or replace depending on crack size......
    Chautaqua, it was too windy believe it or not on the Res. we went and looked at the boat launch named something Hollow, steep hill down to it, pretty sure it's a the top of the Resevoir, can't wait to get my boat there, the water was easily warmer than the air there last weekend...BTW we got stopped on a hunting trail and told that deer season opened Oct. 1 and we wouldn't want to be back there on the dirt bikes!!!!! I was thinking no kidding.....

John
    Last edited by mapleleaf; 10-02-2009 at 11:07 AM.
    90 Conbrio

Get a thread going with pics. Maybe you and I can "race" each other to see who gets completed first