Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tip for 90's PCM engine owners

I just had to replace the alternator on my 92' Mariah. It has a PCM 5.8 Pro Boss. A replacement alternator was $200 at the dealer. I went to auto zone and one of the clerks went into the back and tried different alternators until he found one with the same mounting specs. It is spec'd to be used on a '69 chevrolet truck. Total Cost :$31 for the rebuilt lifetime warranty alternator and $6 for a wiring plug. If you decide to try this, e-mail me for wiring specs. Just thought I'd contribute my tightwad knowledge.

DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Is is shielded for use in a Marine enviroment? My understanding is that auto starters and alternators are not adequaltely shielded from sparks, which may cause a probelm with gas vapors in an enclosed compartment. I know it's one in a million, but I have bad luck anyway.
    1988 Supra Mariah
    4 blade prop
    CD with Sub and 2 Amps
    Wake Designs extended pylon

sorry, i have to echo RKG's thoughts. marine alternators are sealed to prevent arcing. i wouldn't get in a boat with an automobile alternator if i knew it had one.

i wouldn't skimp on the electrical system....you might go boom!

Part of the reason I take this approach is that I learned the hard way. I bought a rebuilt carb froma shop in Florida. It comes in and does not look right, so I call the company. They tell me that they were out of true marine carbs, so they converted a auto carb into marine, J tubes, jetting allchanged. They tell me they do it all the time. So I trust them ( mistake). Well, it worked fine for a while, but when the secondary bowl got out of adjustment and started pushing too much fuel, the excess fuel run out onto my intake versus the J tube. Luckily nothing happened since I caught it, but never again will a nonmarine part touch my boat. I like taking my family anf friends out and do not want to put them in danger. What makes me mad is the day the fuel dumped, we had some friends with their 5 month child onboard. Needless to say, i was not happy.
    1988 Supra Mariah
    4 blade prop
    CD with Sub and 2 Amps
    Wake Designs extended pylon

Hi, the above posts are correct it is very dangerous to put non-marine/non-coastgaurd approved parts on your boat. There is a reason for the expense. The alternator is one of those parts that need to be approved.

Jay Warren
    Marketing Manager

Thanks for setting me straight guys.

DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Hi, the above posts are correct it is very dangerous to put non-marine/non-coastguard approved parts on your boat. There is a reason for the expense. The alternator is one of those parts that need to be approved.

Jay Warren
    Marketing Manager

Here's a really good reason to use ONLY marine/coastguard-approved parts in your boat:

Your insurance likely won't cover it, either.
    Use the right stuff.

- Barrey

Here's another really good reason to use ONLY marine/coastguard-approved parts in your boat:

- Barrey

Default What marine part was skimped on?

Good thread! What do you know about this boat and or incident? The money you "save" on a non-marine part could end up costing more in the long run and even maybe someones life!
    Doug S.
    1999 Supra Legacy

Default There is a reason

Barrey, hope all were all right, very good lesson. Those pix are the very reason why marine parts are more, listen and trust your dealer. I witnessed a beutiful, just refurbed '68 CorrectCraft explode when started, and blow 2 teenage girls out of the boat, they were shaken and not hurt (fortunately). The boat was all original except for the starter, when cranking it emmitted sparks into the bilge, and with the gas vapor.. the rest is history. Yes, marine replacement parts are expensive, I suggest always purchasing them from the dealer or manufacturer, do not listen to the auto guys, it is not the same. Brian Raymond