Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting isue

Default starting isue

OK if I take my boat out and drop it in the water some times it will turn right over first bump. Other times if you give it any gas at all it will act like it is flooded. Motor will turn over great just wont start. I rebuilt the entire motor last year Carb aswell. New fuel line new fuel filter new plugs and wires aswell as new points. It also does this same thing after letting it sit for thirty min or so after riding around. I have looked at other threads to see about this fuel soak but its doing it at a cold start aswell as hot. After it starts it runs like a top couldn't ask for any better. I have not checked the timing yet. I am going to do that tonight but. Thought I would see if anyone else has had this isue before to mabie throw in some more ideas. The only thing that kills me is it wont do it every time
    Last edited by michael hunter; 03-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    89 supra conbrio - big air h20 tower - jl aoudio - Rockford subs - custom wrap

When its acting up run a 12 volt lead to the hot side of the coil while cranking and see if it changes anything. Sometimes a increased resistance of the older harnesses along with a ballist resistor can lead to not enough volts to the coil.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 03-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

You mentioned it acts like it's flooded. When it won't fire, if you hold the throttle all the way open does it start? If flooded, this will clear the flooded condition. Check your float level, it may be slightly high. After turning the engine off, watch your primary and secondary boosters and see if fuel is dripping. Are the throttle plates wet?

Check your timing. Initial timing should be in the 8*-12* range. Do not go too much initial or you may have detonation issues. 8* is a safe initial timing and will result in easier starting than any additional timing.

When having the problem check voltage at the coil. Ensure you are getting voltage while cranking as well. Also check for spark. You can pull a plug wire or the coil wire and hold it close to metal on the intake. You should see a bright white hot spark. If spark is orange and weak, you may have voltage or coil problems.

it will turn over great it has 12.6 while starting Ive put a meter on it. I have fire I have gas compression is great. I have all new wiring and all new harness every wire in this boat is brand new along with cables and all. I am just lost its almost like what could it possibly be. I will say this though every now and then I open up the cover on the motor and I have smelt gas in the past but not since the rebuild
    Last edited by michael hunter; 03-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Check the dwell then timing . It kinda sounds like the float level may be too high?

yes if I hold it wide open or give it three pumps in most cases it will fire but runs rough for a few seconds then runs fine it is an older style four barrel holly and it dosnt have the flote adjustment screws I have to bend the tabs to move the floats. also timing was out a little. their are no marks saying how far I am going each way I just have a whit line and I was about 1 in to the retarted side of it and I adjusted it to dead on the mark and I did make sure there were no marks by wipping it down with a scotch brite pad from paint. it stopped the shaking of the boat but had to turn the idle up a 1/4 turn she is now at 750 and holding in idle but still hard to start when cold or after I have ran for a while. not to sure with this crab which way to bend the tab for the floats

also what would happen if the floats are to low

ok I have had a huge brain fart. when I was working on timing this motor I had forgot that this is a left hand turn motor before I time this thing again all I am finding is 10 degrees btdc is this correct if so left hand is going to be to the left of tdc 10 degress not to the right eather way it runs like a scolded dog but wont start hot to the right of tdc

Get it timed properly. I seem to recall you have a 454 in a Saltare. If so that single mark on the balancer is TDC. Marks for timing should be on the pointer. IIRC each notch is 2* and should be labeled. Not as nice as Fords with a properly marked balancer but it works.

What is confusing is you say if you hold the throttle wide open OR give it three pumps it will start. If that's the case it likely is not a flooded condition. Holding the throttle open while cranking will clear the flooded condition. Pumping will add more fuel and exacerbate the flooded condition. So if either one gets it to start, you likely have another problem entirely. Regardless, to lower floats bend tab so it is closer to the needle. The higher the needle, the lower the float level. Note that you can swap normal externally adjustable bowls on that carb if you have any laying around.

Cold start issues could be choke realted. Does the carb have a choke installed? If so is it adjusted properly? Adjust so that flapper is just shy of closed with engine cold. If you have a high idle cam installed, adjust so idle RPM with choke on is lowest that will idle reasonably smoothly while cold. Probably around 1000 RPM maybe a hair more.

It is a conbrio with a 351 left hand turn so timing is oposit