Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Default 1989 Saltare - My god Spock, what have I done???

Hi all,

First, I'm not a Trekkie - but I think I know how Capt Kirk was feeling now that I've brought my new (old) boat home. Mixed feelings of joy and dread of the work to come.

Second, thanks to all the members here. Your knowledge and shared experience has been invaluable in my quest for an open bow, inboard, ski boat for the family.

Well, partially due to a drastic price drop resulting from the "test drive from he!!" (more on that in a later post) - I just trailered home my new (old) boat. She was advertised as a white and dark blue 23' Mariah. Well, that didn't quite jive but the price was worth checking out. Nope, she's a Saltare all right and I'm convinced the oxidation is hiding light grey and black (well as black as old gelcoat will stay). Hull's in mostly good shape with some typical dock rash and dings in places (needs gelcoat touch up, sand, polish, wax, & maybe new rubrail). Interior is completely shot, but looks like most of the trim & little pieces are there. Tandem axle VIP trailer in good shape with some surface rust (need new fenders, bunks, paint, & surge brakes repaired). 454 engine pulled strong all the way to 4300 rpm, no hesitation, no smoke, etc. Only half the gauges work (oil, water, volt, tach). New resin coated plywood has been put down over the old floor (ouch!).

But the two best parts are that all the engine and tranny mounts are rust free and tight into good wood AND SHE'S ALL MINE NOW!

I know I'll be back begging for more help and info as I bring her back into shape for next spring - Service & Repair Forum here I come... I only hope that I can help others as you have already (albeit unwittingly) helped me. I'll try to post pics along the way, but please be patient as I already have a real job, family, life, etc. Sure honey, go & buy that old boat you've always wanted - What have I done??? Thanks again (I think?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

welcome to the site...er, club

i can't remember having seen a black saltare, looks pretty good. they're great boats, you'll get her whipped into shape.

Don't ever remember any old black Supras either, but no so-dark-blue-you-think-its-black either. I took her over to a fiberglass shop to see what they could do with some of the gelcoat dings & they think it's just really faded oxidized black, but that old black gelcoat was never a true black. Oh well, a little wet sanding & polish & she'll be what she'll be.

They gave me a reasonable price to match and fix the gel coat dings inside and out (if I remove all the hardware, railing, etc. - which I planned on doing anyway). Plus they'll put her in a sling to get to the underside (some keel and bunker rash) & I can have the trailer to make repairs while empty.

First things first though, gotta clean out room in the garage so I can start working on her.

Nice find. Like Salty said, welcome...you'll get her looking the way you want. Just takes time and money.

Thanks Okie,

Time & money? That's all? I've started a spreadsheet to budget both (anal retentive engineer that I am - thankfully no, not my job description - just a personality trait). Already up to 5 worksheets with 20+ line items each. Gonna be a busy and expensive winter. At least I'll be easy to shop for at Christmas. Fortunately the family is onboard (the wife gets her patio deck surfaced in trade, the 14 year old thinks wakesurfing is "cool", & the 10 year old has offered to help wetsand).

The floor and stringers are the great unknown at this point (resin coated plywood over original floor - yuck). I only hope the tight motor & tranny bolts are a good omen. I don't have the real estate to do a coplete top cap removal job. Probably get it "good enough" until I see how amazing your subfloor ballast system works out (continued good luck!) - your and Salty's (plus numerous others') rebuild threads are truely inspiring.

great looking boat youll love it ...Trust me I know all about the time and MONEY I redid my whole boat last year but it was well worth it now I am going to sell it and abuse myself again and find another project ...sadly I enjoy it though and you will to.

I'm also in the "total rebuild" category. I tend to always be a nay-sayer but the outside of that boat shows a lot of promise. I'd like more details about the flapper setup -- It's still a mystery to me how to convert these over, but I'd love to do it.

I'm not sure how the interior gets that far gone without effecting the stringers/floor. I've got my fingers crossed for you!!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

sybrmike, ours look like book ends... well maybe after she's cleaned up a bit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wotan,

Thanks for the finger crossing - that's all I can do at this point until I open her up. I just keep telling myself it won't be too bad since all the mounts are still tight.

From what I can see and remember (and pics from Okie's rebuild), looks like from the exhaust back - exhaust pipe, rubber hose and clamps to muffler inlet pipe, muffler, muffler exit pipe, then a molded rubber piece clamped to the muffler exit pipe on one end and flanged on the outside of the transom, then transom flange ring, and finally the flapper itself is clamped on. I'll know more later, but it may be awhile before I get to that point.

B&T,
    Now that's what I call inspiration - real clean looking. Good to know the potential is there... Is that really black hiding under all my oxidation? Sweet! I'll be adding a tower as well. Don't know which one yet (can't beat New Dim Swoop for looks, Monster looks good & priced right, but Titan really appeals to the engineer in me). But once I pick, I still have to decide black or polished. Black looks great on your (our) boat, but gets hotter 'n snot down here in Texas. Polished would blend with the s/s rails & hardware & be cooler. Thinking of a black tower and powdercoating the s/s rails and hardware to match for an updated look (ouch - hot handrails - black may be hot but it looks so cool).

Wotan,

Thanks for the finger crossing - that's all I can do at this point until I open her up. I just keep telling myself it won't be too bad since all the mounts are still tight.

From what I can see and remember (and pics from Okie's rebuild), looks like from the exhaust back - exhaust pipe, rubber hose and clamps to muffler inlet pipe, muffler, muffler exit pipe, then a molded rubber piece clamped to the muffler exit pipe on one end and flanged on the outside of the transom, then transom flange ring, and finally the flapper itself is clamped on. I'll know more later, but it may be awhile before I get to that point.

B&T,
    Now that's what I call inspiration - real clean looking. Good to know the potential is there... Is that really black hiding under all my oxidation? Sweet! I'll be adding a tower as well. Don't know which one yet (can't beat New Dim Swoop for looks, Monster looks good & priced right, but Titan really appeals to the engineer in me). But once I pick, I still have to decide black or polished. Black looks great on your (our) boat, but gets hotter 'n snot down here in Texas. Polished would blend with the s/s rails & hardware & be cooler. Thinking of a black tower and powdercoating the s/s rails and hardware to match for an updated look (ouch - hot handrails - black may be hot but it looks so cool).