Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default 86 Sunsport Makeover . . .

My Christmas wish is coming true! In a few weeks I will be taking my 86 Sunsport Skier to Viper Customs for rebuild. We're getting the stringer and floor "treatment", cosmetic hull repairs, new upholstery and a tower - not to mention a few incidental items that I want Jim to address. But here's my dilemma: Although I love the look of the teak on the boat, I hate the maintenance of it. I mean, oiling the teak is no big deal - but keeping the oil off of the vinyl is a big deal. The previous owner did a great job keeping the teak wood oiled, but the vinyl got stained in the process. So now that I'm getting new vinyl, I'm asking myself if I should leave the teak accent trim on the interior. And if not teak, what should I use - if anything? Also, I have a teak rail that goes around the stern - and it cannot be removed for oiling. The remainder of the teak trim is easily removed for oiling as is the teak swim platform. Would a stainless rail around the stern look cool? Or maybe no rail at all? What do you guys think? Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Man, I'm excited for ya! Make sure to send us lots of pictures. I'm debating removing my rail completely someday. Mine is SS, but it is still a bit of a pain because you can't really sit on the gunwale edge without it being uncomfortable. I would vote for removing yours completely.

I think it depends if your going with original interior and want to keep it classic stay with the teak but in my opinion I would go with a totally new updated look with the interior and remove the rails and it will look like your boat is a lot newer. I know on my boat I love when people come up and think its a late 2000's model and seeing the look on their face when I tell them its a 92

Yeah Jason - I really like your interior. Your interior panels are all vinyl if I remember correctly. I'm sure that would be easiest to maintain, but I do like the look of the teak. I just don't want to mess up my new vinyl because of trying to take care of the teak. If I remove the rail around the stern, there will be holes that need to be covered. Maybe with just a piece of trim or something?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

that or you could just have Jim fill glass and gelcoat them also. Either way your boat will look awesome classic or newer

Suggs my opinion would be to use a different teak product. There are several teak products that are not actually teak oil at all. These should not be able to stain the vinyl as easily. I think they are called sealants. Sorry I forget my brand I will try to find the bottle.

If you look at a lot of the new boats they are completly removing the grab rails in the bow and around the rear ski locker. Personally I think that is a little unsafe, but not too bad. I think there is someone here who has removed all grab rails and left them off.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

good for you, clint. like-new boat next year!

yeah, i've seen boats around here with no rails. i have SS and like them.

when/if i re-do my vinyl, i'm getting rid of the teak trim pieces. the PO of mine stained the vinyl in a few places. i like teak platforms but that's enough for me. i'll leave the bow locker and trim on the engine cover storage but that's about it....oh yeah, trim around the storage areas on either side of the dash too. gunwhale and the teak strips on the engine cover get in the way....imo.

i want to add storage in the gunwhales like most newer boats have. jim could do that real easy while he's got it.

O.k. You guy's just send that teak my way, I have a couple of idea's for it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first day I bought the boat I knew the first thing to go was the teak,
    My plans are not in stone but I believe Im putting white-black-gray camo hydro turf around the flat top of the hull, My main reason is everybody sits and jumps off the side/rear of the boat and when I get the hull redone I wanted something to take the abuse! Like I said its no in stone but I deff like the idea

Well, I want to leave the front stainless bow rail on for sure. In the back, the rail gets in the way if you are sitting on the ski locker with your feet on the swim platform. But my wife also likes to sun herself on the ski locker and when she does, she likes to have something to hold onto when wakes come. So I'm thinking about removing the railing that goes all the way around the stern of the boat, then adding a stainless handle or grab bar on each side of the gunwale, next to the ski locker cushion. Maybe then I would just leave teak strips on the gunwale going all the way around. Because I like the teak, I don't want to remove all of it . . .
    Mikey, I use the Starbrite (I think) teak oil on the swim platform and it works well, but has to be re-applied a couple times during the season. What other products are you talking about?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com