Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not sure, I bought it 2 years ago with a busted odometer that read 390 hours, no telling how many hours it really has.

With that many cyls low you may have a timing chain problem.

Do you think it could be anything more serious than either a head gasket/head crack or exhaust manifold issue?

was the battery strong when you did the test? Those are some wierd numbers. I would squirt about 2 pumps (with an oil can) of oil into each cylinder and do it again. if water or gas washed the rings down the compression will be very low. stupid question but does it have fuel? I have seen where a carb'd motor will need to be primed with gas though the top of the carb to get the engine to spin fast enough to get gas to the carb. Also spraying anything in the cylinders like carb cleaner or startingfluid will flood the engine immeditaly

if your fuel is old then it may be too degraded to fire up. did you put stabil in it?

when you pump your throttle to prime the engine does fuel squirt into the carb? is your fuel pump working?

I would drain the oil and change the oil and filter. Then drain the block manifolds and remove the impeller. Remove and make sure all plugs were dry and good and replace. Then turn engine over and try and start which it shouldn't unless a miracle has happened. Then remove the plugs and inspect them. If they are dry then your not getting any fuel in to them, if they are wet I would smell to se if it is gas or water or you could take a lighter and see if it burns. If its water then you prob have some kind of gasket leak. If its gas it could be old and too degraded to start. If its gas then i would dry them replace them and then outside in a ventilated area I would have someone turn the ignition key on and pour fresh fuel down the carb and see if it will start............THATS WHAT I WOULD DO but thats me and not you or anyone else .....I have done it before when i have ran out of fuel and poured in old fuel into the tank, the engine wouldn't fire untill i poured fresh gas down the carb.

NOTE do this at your own risk , be very careful with gas.

But i think you have to see why the engine isn't starting
    Salt water will corrode your engine, you should always flush it after use in salt water, if you have not been doing this, and for a while an old engine like this could be toast
    Last edited by docdrs; 01-04-2010 at 12:22 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Yeah the fuel pump is working and it is sending fuel as soon as you prime it. I did not put stabil for the first 3 -4 months the boat sat in the driveway, but i did add it later on.

The cylinders are getting gas into them, and even when I leave the spark plugs out and crank it, it does squirt fuel out of the plug holes. The plugs are getting a spark, but just not starting. The liquid that does shoot out of the spark plug holes from the cylinders is of a gasoline mixture, but it is very rustic brown from the residue that remained from draining it and not sure if that gunk that sat in there for a while is preventing it from starting.

86Pirata454 - when you mentioned the water/fuel might have washed the rings down and therefore not allowing a normal compression, do you mean the actual piston rings?

Do you guys know why the water drained from the exhaust manifolds (from the plug hole) came out a blueish/blackish color? Is that normal for exhaust manifolds?

You need to check your compression again. If those values are right then you may not have enough compression to ignite the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber . Most likely a head gasket which is why you get water in the cylinders and loss of compression . The main question is has there been a casting or head metal breach, sounds like you may be ok here for right now but soon may happen. If you have been running in salt water and not flushing the engine you will have problems with corrosion of your motor. You have to flush the engine after every use.

here is what it can do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjgzPN4yg0

Just trying to help
    Last edited by docdrs; 01-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

You mentioned overheating the engine. The original color of your motor is Silver, if it now has a tint of bronze you are in trouble. My advise it to remove the heads and have them surfaced, and valves rebuilt. If the bore of the block is out of round, the block will need to be bored. Basically You are looking at a reman engine soon. Allan