Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Father of Supra - The History of Supra Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    What?

Ok, we get it, you have a new 20 year mortgage...but don't take it out on us.
    Not a knock on anyone, just saying he sold his company, got paid well and the new moomba and Supras aren’t crap, so it’s not an embarrassment to him.

The boats are still handmade by the way, fiberglass still sprayed in a mold etc.

Really cool that the classics are still appreciated here, but it does come across as “get off my lawn”

Like comparing a 1963 corvette and a 2021 C8.... both are awesome in their own right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Arizona; 03-17-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Arizona View Post
    Not a knock on anyone, just saying he sold his company, got paid well and the new moomba and Supras aren’t crap, so it’s not an embarrassment to him.

The boats are still handmade by the way, fiberglass still sprayed in a mold etc.

Really cool that the classics are still appreciated here, but it does come across as “get off my lawn”

Like comparing a 1963 corvette and a 2021 C8.... both are awesome in their own right.
    No one ever said anything about build quality. It is about two different eras as you say which is basically rehashing my comment regarding
    the posted pics. "He got paid and it’s not like Supra builds shitty boats" came out of left field if we are speaking in terms of lawns. I can't help you with how you interpret comments on the internet. All I can say is...I believe we've had this conversation before in another thread and no one has an issue with new boats here. No one!
    "Go to the Moomba forum, more new boat owners there!"
    has been written way more times than I can count, by new owners, so there is that.

I don't care if threads posted here are for new boats, old boats, or medium age boats as I will still read them regardless. I just can't answer why my GoPro fails to communicate or why my folding tower doesn't work. Sorry.
    The attitude presented by newbies is, that this is an old folks home for old boats and so the newbies get bored by stringer repair and talk of wave decals so they sprint over to the Moomba forum...which is their prerogative. Good for them, hope they find the answer, pretty sure no one is restoring an old Moomba. MJHKnox tends to knock it out of the park with the best answers for the newbies. I read every thread and every comment but since he has a 2018 SL, he's better suited for that and I applaud him for his effort.

Now, taking a break from ranting, people discount George Fowler's contribution to the ski boat business. He was Rob Shirley's (Mastercraft) brother-in-law, and the original general manager of Mastercraft during its formative years. He then had a falling out with Shirley, left, and started Ski Supreme. Starting Ski Supreme actually got him sued by Mastercraft. He then started Supra, then Moomba, then Aztec.
    By the end of his tenure at the helm of Supra, it really wasn't going so well. In the article, he stated taking the company public in the late '80s cost him everything. One day a rich man, the next day financially in dire straights after the recession of 1991. Moomba was started in his basement as his retirement plan but had to give it up in the sale of Supra to satisfy creditors later on if I understood the interview correctly. I'm sure George would debate you on "got paid well." Would be nice to ask him huh?

I'm sure he's proud of the new Supra but my original comments stands, nothing there for him but S-U-P-R-A on the side of a boat.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242