Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ngavchris View Post
    Make sure he is willing to take pictures of every step he takes. Once it is all covered up you never know what you got. If I lived that close to Donnie or Viper, I would be using someone who knows Supras.
    What chris said.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I would agree on the pictures. If it were me, I'd want to see pictures like that of other projects to make sure he did it right. My main concern is that price seems low. I'm going to spend nearly that much on materials. I could cut some corners to save cost which would allow labor costs to be covered. So, ask him what corners he cuts to get that price down, if you know what I mean.

Default You get what you pay for...

Yes, as i mentioned in the previous post, he will be taking pictures for me through the whole process. I will ask him about "Cutting Corners", however when speaking with him, he was very knowledgable. I will make sure he does the job proper. It's also a huge price difference between his 2K and the others around here at 5K.
    But.... yes, I will do everything I can to ensure he is doing it right. I am even going to go there halway through the process to inspect and learn.

I will keep you all in the loop. So in the meantime I will work on the seats.

Thanks for everyone's input, it has certainly helped!

So... I was going to take the boat in this Saturday, but we got hit by a snowstorm, i got over 9 inches at my place... so it will have to wait another week.

I had more time to to replace the rotted wood on the back of my seat cushions, see pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd say that wood was a little shot out.

i'd drop by there every week. you want to make sure all of the old foam and stringers come out, that the new stringers are encapsulated completely with glass, that new foam isn't poured in clogging up drainage, that the new floor is glassed over...lots of stuff.

buying glass and resin in bulk is alot cheaper but at $2k there's not much room to pay overhead and still make money on the job if you're running a business. even doing this as a 'backyard' re-builder would be tough at that price.

Default oil and tranny oil

Hey guys;

Next questions are:
    what kind of oil?
    HOw much?
    filter?

Transmission fluid:
    What kind
    generally how much
    is there a transmission filter?

Thanks!

Hunt around on the bulletin board for "service manual". Someone has a link to an outside web site that has the PCM manuals for the transmission and your motor. For oil, I think it is 4 quarts plus one for the filter for five total. Everyone argues about what weight oil, I run 10/40 in mine, but my motor is 22 years old. For the transmission, PCM calls for Dexron ATF or type A fluid. My trans filter is at the back of the transmission where the fluid line goes into the transmission case. when you remove the line, you can remove the fitting and the filter slides right out. I am not sure how much trans fluid you need to put in; check the dipstick as you fill the trans. If you cannot find the above referenced link on the bulletin boards, you can buy a service manual. "Inboard engine, transmission, and drive" is published by Clymer (I think they do the Chilton guides for cars). The oil filter is the same as for a Ford truck. The fuel filter (if you have one it will probably be mounted to the stringer below the port side exhaust manifold) is not a car part! It is a Fram filter, but I do not know what the part # is. Skidim.com has the correct filter. Clean your spark arrestor with carb cleaner and then let it dry completely before re-installing it. I usually go through most of a can on mine. I spray it and junk just keeps coming out... any other questions?

thanks for the help.
    got the motor out of the boat, cleaned it, in the process of changing the oil, filter, transmission fluid, spark plugs, wires, new starter, new relay... and other small stuff....it's getting there, long process...

however i am enjoying it, learning a lot.... need more space and more time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink

The blue hose that goes to the rear of the transmission on the starboard side of the trans is the one that you remove to get to the transmission filter. Pull it out, clean it, and slide it back in. much easier to get to when the motor is out. And it won't make a mess in your bilge. While you are working on the motor, put in an electronic ignition if it does not already have one installed. Under $100, and definitely worth it.